PST Tank discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, for what its worth, PST is still around, and the guy who answered the telephone last week said the DO intend to renew the SP.

Is this still true? I'm looking at a PST-120 (E9791) on eBay but I'm worried about it being useless in 18 months.

I'm looking at a used PST HP 120, owner says it has recent hydro and vis. Is there a risk to buying these or is it getting straightened out?

Be aware that there were other PST tanks. I have a PST "Steel 96.2" which really exists, with the stamp:
DOT 3AA 3000
44307Y
7[pst]82+

A steel tank, different alloy IIRC, about 6.9" wide and 25" tall, DAMN HEAVY, and DOT rated 3000 psi, good for + service at 3300 psi "forever". The fly in the ointment is that the REE numbers for the tank seem to have been unrecorded, so you can't get a + rating from a hydro shop unless they have the ultrasound equipment to measure the wall thickness, and the brains to follow the CGA5 manual, as per the DOT's regulations and comments.

Few shops recognize these tanks, because they were heavy (bfd, take some lead off the belt) and EXPENSIVE and not made from that miracle metal aluminum which never corrodes or has tank neck problems (G)...they were ahead of their time. No special permits needed, just 3AA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom