PST or Genesis tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quote=cummings66]I'd say go for the HP100 tank myself. The weight difference in the water is a wash,.....

Excellent advice.

Yep. I'd agree and say he should go for the HP 100, as long as it's not the Japanese make, which I believe had significant problems, according to my LDS. The Japanese version also had a taller boot and stood taller- not desirable, in my book.

The PST HP 100 is very popular here in New England. HP 80's aren't as popular and are harder to sell around here.

I've bought about 15 or more PST HP tanks in the past 10 years, some to sell, some to keep as a "fleet" of 8 or 10 for camping/diving trips to places where there were no fill stations. I loved the 100's, but have switched to mostly 120's now.

Around here (NH, MA, ME), the going price for a PST HP 100, with most of a hydro left on it, runs between $150 to $200, regardless of age, believe it or not. Current visual wouldn't be expected here. You did very well to have gotten yours for $75 plus a hydro, I think. In 10 years of buying, I only found about 4 around the $100 price. Had to be the first caller on those, for sure!

I think your word of caution to get a visual is good advice for the OP, and it's quite likely that the tank will have some small amount of rust in it, but that's common and rarely reaches the level of being a problem. Usually doesn't even require a tumble.

My tanks will occasionally get minor rust in them even with my good care to blow out the valve after diving, so I don't know if the angled valve is the issue as much as occasionally damp fills from the dive shop, such as when it's close to filter change time for the shop.

Most of the tanks I bought were 5 to 10 years old when I bought them and I expect them to pass hydro for a few decades more. Most had slight rust inside. None required a tumble to pass inspection, although I made my own tumbler and cleaned them all up.

I'd say the OP should ask a knowledgeable local diver to look it over with him, then probably buy the HP 100 and feel pretty happy about the tank and the price (if it's PST). He should check eBay prices on these tanks, too. They run pretty high, even for older tanks. They're very popular.

Dave C
[/QUOTE]
reading this in 2023, wondering if there are still steels out there priced that low. I have seen old LP with born dates of 75 for sale but no HP ones yet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom