PST LP Pressure Rating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
At what pressure does a PST LP 95 = 95 csf? I assumed that 95csf of air was at 2400 psi. After doing some research on a few different websites, 95csf appears to be at the + rating (2640psi). So, in reality 2400 PSI on a PST LP 95 = 86.3~ csf of air. It appears a PST LP95 is only 95 for the first five years, then it becomes a 86! Has anyone seen this before?

A well informed Hydro station can re-stamp the "+" every time your tank is Hydro'd. It is an old wives tale that it can't be done again.
Tom

A 95 is 95cf only at the 10% overfill allowed by the + rating as you guessed.

As Tm530 stated, you can get this + rating as long as the cylinder passes the additional calculations required for the + rating. Newer cylinders should have an REE number stamped on the shoulder along with everything else, this REE is used for calculating if the cylinder can receive the + rating.

Only abused cylinders will ever fail. I’ve been reincarnated twice so far and I’m still using cylinders from my first life :)

Now here’s the catch: Most dive shops will tell you that the + rating is only good for the manufacturer to put on a cylinder (in other words, the first five years as you stated). Not so, and this is why if you have cylinders that have + ratings you should work DIRECTLY with a hydro facility instead of the dive shop. Most dive shops are woefully uninformed when if comes to hydros.

Roak

You're right, AquaGuy! On ALL low-pressure steel tanks, the advertised capacity includes the +10% overfill......to me it's a case of false advertising, since you're correct about possibly losing the 'extra' 10% after the 1st 5 years.....unless you go to the effort of finding a local hydro station that is knowledgable enough to renew the +10% rating.
It's very possible your local dive shop may try to sell you new tanks when the original hydro expires......claiming you can't renew the +10% rating...either through ignorance or the profit motive.

"On ALL low-pressure steel tanks, the advertised capacity includes the +10% overfill......"

Not necessarily true. A few months ago, I was looking at either the 2002 PST or Faber catalog (I don't remember which one), and the +10% overfill was NOT needed to achieve the tanks stated capacity, at least for the newer model tanks. I suggest you contact the manufacturers directly or check out their catalogs to get the real answer.

....so tbg, does that mean that the 'newer' model LP tanks still have a +10% rating "on-top-of" the regular 2640 psi pressure?
Does this mean such tanks are now rated @ 2904 psi (2640 + 10 %) ?
...or does this mean the tanks are just stamped to be 2640 psi tanks and the '+10 %' has been deleted off the tanks?
.......or does it mean the tanks are just rated @ 2400 psi, and that they are a big larger in internal volume, allowing them to reach full capacity @ 2400 psi?

Karl

...thanks for the clarification. I'd be willing to bet the tanks haven't changed a bit from the 'old' tanks.....the downside for those of us who own the 'old' style (with the +10% stamped on the side) is that we'll have to go to the extra effort to renew the +10% rating every 5 years.
Also, I've been to one dive site that was reluctant to fill my Faber LP120's past 2400 psi.......even though they have a +10% rating......I sort of ended up in an argument with the place over it.....they gave me a hard time filling it past 2400 psi.......so if they had been rated correctly @ 2640 psi, that wouldn't have happened.

Karl

I had a similar thing happen to me ScubaFanatic - Brought some new PST 95's from a LDS. Took them to another LDS to get a fill and had a hard time getting them to fill past 2400. When I purchased an aircard for $30, they had no problem filling them up to 2700. Funny how that works!

scubafanatic once bubbled...
...the downside for those of us who own the 'old' style (with the +10% stamped on the side) is that we'll have to go to the extra effort to renew the +10% rating every 5 years.
This shouldn't cause a good hydro shop to even blink, they do + ratings all the time with the bulk cylinders (next time you see a welding setup, check out all the +s after the hydros).

My shop has a computerized setup, they enter the REE and the computer does the rest.

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom