PST is it going under (No, they aren't)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

COVCI once bubbled...

check out this link...

http://hazmat.dot.gov/exemptions/E09791.pdf

Interesting reading and explains some of the cost of tanks. For each lot of 200 cylinders (max allowed lot size), they must test 13 to destruction (they are allowed to make 213, destry 3 and end up with 200 finished tanks). The cost fo the testing, plus the cost of the destroyed cylinders has gotta add up.

tivey once bubbled...

PST has been producing quality gas cylinders for over 100 years, and we are looking forward to next 100 years.

Thomas Ivey
Product Mgr/Scuba Division

A word on PST, i had two of their early 90's vintage HP-100's fail on their second hydro. Don't remember exactly what the deal was but they had some manufacturing problems around that time. Sent them back to PST and got two new 100's for shipping cost only. I gladly paid the shipping to replace these tanks which were ten years old.

PST gets it .... i highly recommend their products, they are a great company IMO!

: Gedunk once bubbled

A word on PST, i had two of their early 90's vintage HP-100's fail on their second hydro. Don't remember exactly what the deal was but they had some manufacturing problems around that time. Sent them back to PST and got two new 100's for shipping cost only. I gladly paid the shipping to replace these tanks which were ten years old.

Wish they'd done the same for my HP120 which also failed on its second hydro. Wish the manufacturing defect involved those as well. I'm still debating whether I should go with PST's E8 130 after that.

Dr. Bill

Genesis once bubbled...
You could then get another 5 years out of the tanks.... but at that point, "they're all dead Jim!"

If you get surprised, you find out when your hydro is up and you go to the shop and get told "sorry, those tanks will make great wind chimes."

Hey Genesis...

Took the first part of my PSI class last night, and we were talking about the different material labels, 3AA, 3AL, etc.. then we got into talking about Special Permins's and Exepmtion's.

The instructor made it sould like Special Permits are issued, and when they reach 5 years old they are converted to Excemptions - another 5 years then they are converted to a non-exepmt marking, i.e. 3AA....

Any truth to this?

I suppose the 3AA "standard" could be amended, but I don't think you could "convert" an exemption into a 3AA marking.

Could be wrong about that one though....

drbill once bubbled...

Wish they'd done the same for my HP120 which also failed on its second hydro. Wish the manufacturing defect involved those as well. I'm still debating whether I should go with PST's E8 130 after that.

Dr. Bill

I think mine were a late 91 manufacture date and i got them hydro'd early 01. Like i said, i can't remember for sure but i think PST drew the line if they were older than 10 years for the tanks in question. Mine got in just under the wire. Sorry yours didn't.

But to replace them after they were almost 10 years old amazed me. Not many companies would even consider something like that with all the wear and abuse possibilities there is for products like this.

My HP120 was manufactured in '93 and failed hydro this year. If I didn't take such good care of it, I wouldn't be so disappointed. I only use it for local airfills on the island and have a separate HP100 tank for off-island boat dives (which may involve higher possibility of introducing water into the tank).

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom