Pst 100?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

claymore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an opportunity to get a used PST 100. It looks to be in very good condition in the picture I have seen. I have not found out if it is a High or Low pressure tank yet. It is out of hydro so it will need a hydro & vis.

Is there any thing GOOD or BAD about this tank that would make it a good buy or a tank to stay away from.

If it is a HP tank would there be a problem getting it filled because it is a PST tank?

Thanks for any information.

There has been a lot of discussion about PST's failing hydro. One thing to make sure if is that whomever you have hydro it makes sure they follow the standard PST for testing their tanks which is to pre-stretch the tank before actually running the test. If they take the initial reading there is a good chance it will fail hydro... Having said that, I have spoken with several testers who reinforce this fact, otherwise no problems with PST

For more details you can search the board for a lot of information...

HP tanks are extremely popular. The only places where I have had problems getting a complete fill on an HP tank is some charters/live-a-boards.

PST is a good tank and I like the 100 for the type of diving do. I would buy it with the condition that the tank will pass inspection or else you get a refund. As long as it passes it can be filled. Assuming you are getting a good price on the tank. I still dive PST tanks that are over 40 yrs old.

I agree with james. I dive HP120's (PST) and love them. As long as they pass inspection and you know what your paying and how that compares to new, I say go for it. You do need to understand the difference between AL and Steel if you currently dive aluminum before you buy.

Please don't get me wrong, I dive PSTs and love them. I just want to make sure that you were aware of the concerns that out there. Definitely agree with James. I would purchase them contingent on passing the hydro.

couple things-

Older HP PSTs were rated at 3500 psi and can only be used with 300 bar din connections. Newer ones are rated at 3442 psi and can be used with either yoke or din valves.

There is always a small risk in buying a tank with little or no time left on the hydro and the price should reflect that risk. Once it has a new hydro, the price should go up accordingly.

I've got 2 PST HP/3442 80s and 1 PST HP/3442 100. When I have had them hydro-ed I gave them the PST "E Hydro" instruction sheet (which they didn't need/already had). My LDS said that they and the shop that did the hydro were aware of the PST specs. They had no problem with passing hydro.

I wouldn't hesitate buying a HP/3442 PST - with the pass hydro contingency. Here's the link to updated "E Hydro" (01/01/03) "PST Technical Bulletin D100-E":

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/downloads/PST-D-100.pdf

Print it out now and save a copy (before it disappears) and give it to whoever does the hydro. If the link doesn't work - PM me and I'll email you a copy.

Since this time I've bought 1 Worthington HP/3442 80 and 2 Worthington HP/3442 100s. I passed up the chance to buy 2 more used Worthington 100s for $150 apiece - I keep kicking myself, but how many cylinders does a guy need (my wife keeps asking me)? "Just one more" :) !!!

I love steel!!!

I get low fills whenever I don't go to a real dive shop. But a short fill (3000 psi) is better (more air) than a regular fill on a Al 80, plus no positive buoyancy when empty.

I guess PST is never coming back. Does anyone really know?

drdaddy

I already have two OMS LP steel 112's. The PST was offered for $75 but is out of hydro.
I would not buy the tank if a refund was not made if it failed hydro or vis.
I am still waiting on more info on the tank.

For $75 I'd pull the valve to take a look inside and take my chances with the hydro. But if the seller will guaranty the hydro, then all the better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom