PST 100 tank ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrisd18e

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know if PST painted their tanks from the factory in '00? Did they make more than one HP 100 back then? Im looking at buying two PST tanks that are painted. How would I be able to identify them as PST? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Chris

In 2000, PST cylinders were galvanized. Not painted. If you are looking at a painted PST cylinder, it is older than 2000. More like 92-94 or a few years either side. They used to paint them back when Sherwood/Genesis distributed them (I dont recall the exact dates). If it does have an original hydro of 2000, and its a grey paint, its probably an Asahi cylinder distributed thru Genesis, made in Japan (spun cylinder).
What color paint is it, and what manufacturer's symbol is on the cylinder??? Markings??? More info required to accurately identify the cylinder...

OK, I just bought two PST HP 100's off, please dont laugh, ebay. The seller lives
close-by and for whatever reason didnt include a picture. Anything without a picture usually doesnt sell very well so I figured yeah why not. I havent actually seen the tanks but I talked to the seller on the phone today. He says they are galvanized but were painted when he purchased them. They are painted grey and have genesis 45 degree DIN valves. If they aren't exactly as advertised, I'll opt out but the seller seemed a little bummed about the $255 selling price so I dont think he's trying to pull a scam. Oh, he said they were last hydro'd last fall, so would that mean they were probably 98's? Thanks for the help

Chris

I dont think they are PST cylinders. Which sucks for you because there were rumors about Asahi not renewing the exemption for their HP cylinders, which means you cant get them rehydroed (I dont know if that actually happened or not). Dont ever buy anything sight unseen. I would ask him what the exemption # is on the cylinder, and what markings are on the cylinder. That will tell you what they are. Also, if he lives close by, why dont you meet somewhere and see the cylinders before you commit to them???

Well yeah Im going to pick them up tomorrow and I wont take them if they arent exactly as advertised. They should have PST stamped in the DOT code shouldnt they?

Yes, but sometimes its very hard to read. The exemption code should be E9791. If its not, its not a PST. If the Exemption code is E-12079, its an Asahi cylinder...
Pay close attention to that...

FTR, I would not buy it if its an Asahi cylinder, due to previously posted concerns...

Yeah they are stamped E-12079. They say Asahi and Genesis. They where made 1/01 and where O2 cleaned last october. I brought up the fact that they weren't PST and were made in Japan. I was able to get them both for $200 total. They are in excellent condition. They dont have any scratches, only a few scuffs in the paint. I just read on another post that their exemption was renewed. Do you think I should keep them around or try to sell them?

Well, thats up to you. Seeing as you aleady bought them, use them for yourself and see what you think. The paint is not as durable as the hot dip galvanized coating on the PST cylinders, and it may get scratched off. Which can be a concern if you dive in salt water. Also, the thread on the cylinder is the 7/8 NPSM thread, which is smaller than the PST neck. This means your valve selections are going to be limited. If you like the Genesis angled DIN, then this is not a problem. I dont, and I wouldnt have bought these cylinders. Good luck...

You got a steal. The Asahi will prove to be quite a bit more negatively buoyant, no big deal. The tanks are flame sprayed with metallized zinc, a tough, rust resistant coating. Then they are primed and painted. Enjoy.

The only problem is that Asahi only renewed the exemption for two more years, which means, if they dont renew it in two years (again) then you will not be able to get the cylinders hydroed. In other words, you will wind up with a wind chime... Get em hydroed right before the exemption runs out so at least you can use the cylinders for five more years...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom