PSD exposure protection.

What suits does your team use, choose all that apply.

• My team is not standardized.

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • My team uses vulcanized rubber suits with rear entry zippers.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • My team used vulcanized rubber suits with front entry zippers.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • My team uses Trilaminant or other laminated material suits with rear entry zippers.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • My team uses Trilaminant or other laminated material suits with front entry zippers.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • My team uses neoprene or crushed neoprene suits with rear entry zippers.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • My team uses neoprene or crushed neoprene suits with front entry zippers.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • My team uses only wetsuits.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My team uses both wetsuits and dry suits.

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Our dry suits have shoulder dump valves.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Our dry suits have cuff dump valves.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Our dry suits use neoprene seals rather than latex.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

\
If you're worried about tears, any other suit would be more difficult to fix.

Unless you're using the dry suit for buoyancy control you won't loose buoyancy with a suit flood. This is a common misconception.

Duct Tape is a great Remedy and tool to carry with these suits:D.....very easy fixing...or at least patching to get the job done

I was flooded up to my waist in a suit, and only thought there was a little water, while diving:confused:...........until I exited the water and the earth was shaking with every slow step

My team has just put in for a grant that will allow us to buy drysuits for each member. We are looking at a new suit specifically designed by Whites exclusively for Hazmat use. It is much Cheaper, Lighter, and as easy to repair. Plus being coated inside and out is easier to clean.

The manufacturer is having a Demo here in pittsburgh December 15th and 16th.

If anyone is interested in attending call 412-262-2664 and talk to Jeff

We've got a mix. Half Gates Vulcanized rubber and half Bare trilam. I like wearing the trilam more, but it is more difficult to decontaminate (especially the crushed neoprene socks). Having learned more, we'll probably only buy vulcanized rubber from here out.

We are converting our suits from Viking to the DUI vulcanized rubber suits. Close to half the price of the Viking.

Did you guys know that in the OSHA guidelines, it says to use Viking suits?

Im getting in touch today with OSHA to get the guidelines, some of my Depts. will only use Viking due to a Mishape a few years back and regulations coming into play.....Just a thought, to them, its worth the extra money to be complient with the guidelines and not have the headache later of explaining why they werent following the OSHA standards......

Yotsie, what price are you paying for the Vikings? If you dont mind me asking...if so, ignore my question :wink:

Im not sure....My viking rep told me that info, and my PSD teams told me the same thing....Im looking into the info right now and should be able to post something later today or tomorrow about it.....Again, its second hand info, that Im getting all the details together now...

I think the reason why viking is held in higher regard to the others is that their testing procedure is more complete. At least until very recently they were the only manufacturer to test the whole suit (seals, seams etc) not just a piece of the suit material itself. They also seem to test allot more chemicals then the others do.

The short end of it is that the viking is proven by raw data to be effective where the other brands may not have been subjected to as much. This doesn't say that the other brands can't perform the same (or better) its just that they haven't been scientifically proven to be so

Dive,

You violated the cardinal rule. You trusted your rep!! Next time I would ask for a copy of that OSHA code so you can "assist" your PSD Teams. :D

It would be an understatement to say that I get frustrated by manufacturers reps who think the laws of our country give them some sort of mandate. I have spent a great many years in and around all types of laws, codes and reference materials not just for public safety. It is safe to say that very few times are codes/laws ever black and white. Most times they are many shades of gray open to interpretation. Very rarely have I found a code or law mandating (must/shall use) a specific manufacturer. If there is a reference to a manufacturer it also includes verbiage similar to "...or equivalent..." Usually the reference is made because the company or product is an industry first/standard. This is only a benchmark used as an example of the types of things to be used.

In an effort to be prudent I just reviewed OSHA and NFPA again. The bottom line is nowhere does it mandate or even mention Viking dry suits.

NFPA 1670 Standards on Operations and Training for Technical Search and Rescue Incidents 2004 Edition. Chapter 9 Water Search and Rescue Part 9.4.6.3 which is for the technician dive rescue is where you find suit requirements.

Line #12 it says:

"(12)* Utilizing full-body encapsulation equipment, including dry suits, dry hoods, and dry gloves with full-face mask in contaminated water"

It does not even mandate vulcanized rubber suits. The only want suits that fully encapsulate and protect the diver. NFPA is not interested in protecting equipment they want to protect the person. You can get a neoprene or laminate suit to fully encapsulate the diver. The reasons why dive teams go with the Vulcanized are listed in previous posts.

I also searched the entire NFPA codes for "Viking" and the only applicable references I have found were the following

1670 Annex K Informational References - Diving in Contaminated Waters Database Manual from Trelleborg-Viking Copyright 2001

It appears that neither Federal OSHA or NFPA mandate the sole use of Viking products. This is not to say that a State or Local "Authority Having Jurisdictions" could have mandated Viking. Remember most states and municipalities can enact laws or regulations that can exceed the national standards. They cannot make laws or regulations that are below the national standards. Some states have their own OSHA that is an enhancement to the national OSHA with more strict guidelines.

I would like to make one last comment about NFPA. For the most part it is only an "Accepted Standard" not a law or regulation unless adopted by the state or referenced specifically in a law. You are not mandated to follow NFPA but rest assured if the worst does happen and you are face to face with a lawyer you will be asked why you did not follow the "Accepted Standard"

Hope this helps,

Mark D.

Mark....Im slowly learning these rules :wink:

After doing some more diggin, what he said was just based on articles, not OSHA like he first said.

Thanks for the info and I look to you guys for alot of guidance with the PSD stuff as we are just getting into helping with this realm that not many shops want to get into....so please be kind :)

You guys fill my head with knowledge, and I will do my best to fill your teams with the most equipment per dollar :wink:

Looking forward to learning alot and being able to contribute to the board.......

Back
Top Bottom