PSD accessories

What accessories do you have at your disposal, choose all that apply.

• My team members carry an SMB.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • My team has at least 1 underwater metal detector.

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • My team has at least 1 DPV.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • My team has a sled to tow behind a boat.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • My team has a variety of lift bags.

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • My team has HID lights.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • My team has river creepers.

• My team has ice diving eguipment.

• My team has swift water equipment.

• My team has a mobile compressor.

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • My team has sonar, sidescan or otherwise.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • My team has hover craft or similar vehicle.

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am in charge of researching for gear to standardize our PSD team. right now we are all volunteers and supply all our own gear so everything is well mis-matched. we would love to all have the same gear and get it paid for via a grant but I dont know what gear is best for the job. Could I get some feed back as to what other teams use. Thanks

I am sorry to admit that I am challenged by an abreviation used above. SMB??? Is that a "manifold block?" or a Sub-Marine Boat? ... Maybe the retirment party has my head swimming still. Gary, NWD, Bridge ... can you help me out here?

I am sorry to admit that I am challenged by an abreviation used above. SMB??? Is that a "manifold block?" or a Sub-Marine Boat? ... Maybe the retirment party has my head swimming still. Gary, NWD, Bridge ... can you help me out here?
Surface Marker Buoy :wink:

Gary D.

Northwoodsdiver
I must admit that I find this method of "research" kind of odd. With a poll what you'll find is what is popular without knowing anything about the person that uses them or why (ie - are they even a PSD answering your poll?). They may further be in an environment that you'd never see and so certain equipment is not even thought of.
What is popular isn't always good

If you want a starting point I'd recommend some reading about what a PSD job is and after that pose specific questions or search the archives. Also look to other sources for info. This board has some pros on it but not all that many compared to other places.

I haven't decided whether I'll take part in your polls yet because I think the answers should be qualified somewhat. I'm not inclined to post large descriptions about answers unless you're really looking for them - the form of specific questions would be nice instead of the same canned opening statement for each poll

HID lights for PSD? You're joking right?

Surface Marker Buoy :wink:

Oh man... I feel like a idiot now.

I am just curious though, does the word "surface" really need to preceed "marker buoy?"

Does any public safety dive team use a UMB or U/WMB (underwater marker buoy)? :focus:

FOR ALL IT'S WORTH, I AGREE WITH WHAT BRIDGE SAYS ABOVE. THIS IS AN UNUSUAL WAY TO DETERMINE WHAT YOUR TEAM NEEDS. I WILL ADMIT THOUGH THAT I HAVE ENJOYED SEEING SOME OF THE RESULTS.

AS BRIDGE POINTS OUT, WHAT YOUR TEAM DOES AND WHAT YOUR TEAM NEEDS TO DO THE JOB IN YOUR REGION MAY BE VERY DIFFERENT FROM WHAT BRIDGE NEEDS IN CANADA OR WHAT WE NEED IN FLORIDA. THAT IS ONE OF THE REASONS WHY O.S.H.A. MADE THE DECISION TO DELETE PUBLIC SAFETY DIVING FROM THE COMMERCIAL DIVING STANDARD. NOT EVERYONE HAS THE SAME NEEDS...

We use U/WMB's on occation. Usually it is when you send the new guy down to mark an object with a down line or a small buoy for some reason and they haul down on it till the rope is verticle before tying it off. Then in the morning when you return and the tide has gone up you have a bunch of usless U/WMB's.

Oh, and for marker buoys, don't buy a commercial off teh shelf. Just send the FNG down to the local Stop N Rob and have him buy a gallon of milk. Milk or water jugs work really good and they have built in pad eyes (handel) for tiing them off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom