Provo Snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric S

Registered
Reaction score
Will be there next week, and will have car. Looking for recommendations for places to snorkel from shore around the island. Wife only snorkels so can't going diving every day. Thanks. Also, if anyone can recommend good excursions, thanks too.

IMHO the best snorkeling is on Smith's Reef and Bight Reef both in the Princess Alexandra National Park off the northwest point of the island. You will need a rental car. Check with the concierge at your resort for info. Not a lot to do on Provo if you don't like the beach. There is the conch farm. Did I mention the beach?

So far I've snorkeled at Coral Gardens on Grace Bay, Smith's Reef outside Turtle Cove Marina, and took a trip with Dive Provo over to French Cay. Smith's Reef is a great shore snorkeling location. We have seen spotted eagle rays every time we've went in. They cruise a deeper channel between the closest coral patches to the beach and the outer ones. You can see a deep blue channel from the beach not too far out, and they've been there every time. Great location. Coral Gardens is very busy with people, roped off, and beat up from heavy visitation. Smith's Reef is much nicer with nicer coral formations and more depth. French Cay was good, but nothing great. It was nice to try a new location. I did see an octopus, some friendly squid, and a stingray there, but no eagle rays. The boat ride is about 50 minutes to get there. Dive Provo seems like a very nice operation.

Back
Top Bottom