Proud new owner of an SP-350..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frankc420

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Should I be? This will be my first UW camera so I hope I'm starting off with a good one. I'm going to Key Largo Memorial Day weekend and just wanted something to bring back some memories with. I don't plan to run a strobe, just the internal flash. I will take the photos in RAW format most likely though.

My whole setup is going to cost me about $450, thats the Oly SP-350, 1GB high speed card, 8 hour lipo battery, PT-030 UW case, and 3 year parts/labor warranty. Although, I am going to spend the $15/year for insurance through my home insurance!

I'm pretty good with PS CS. Hope to post some pics BEFORE my Largo trip :D

I've heard good things about that camera, but don't you want to use up all your dive trip money on a DSLR like I did????? :D

It should do well. Rember the first rule of UW photography, get close, get closer, get even closer and when your sure your too close, your about right.
With the internal flash, concentrate on photos that are fairly close to a solid backround, like a large coral head 2 to 4 ft away is a good choice. Avoid large areas of open water in your shots or your going to see a lot of back scatter. Your flash is good to maybe 3 ft so your better off with it off if you choose to try shots with large areas of open water .

I'll throw this out....I just ordered yesterday a Canon A570is with a 2 GB card, rechargable batteries & Canon UW housing for $430....Already have a Pelican hard case(for my S&S MM II) that I will use for this setup......There are so many Canon's out there, I didn't even make it to the Oly. line....lol....

But I agree, on taking UW shots, when you think you're close enough, get even closer.....good luck.....

SeaYoda:
I've heard good things about that camera, but don't you want to use up all your dive trip money on a DSLR like I did????? :D

Eh, I think I'll pass on the DSLR for now. :D

herman:
It should do well. Rember the first rule of UW photography, get close, get closer, get even closer and when your sure your too close, your about right.
With the internal flash, concentrate on photos that are fairly close to a solid backround, like a large coral head 2 to 4 ft away is a good choice. Avoid large areas of open water in your shots or your going to see a lot of back scatter. Your flash is good to maybe 3 ft so your better off with it off if you choose to try shots with large areas of open water .

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure once my setup shows up at my door, I'll have alot of questions about what each feature does.. So if you guys have some nice sites the explain the features and how to use them, that would be appreciated!

diver 85:
I'll throw this out....I just ordered yesterday a Canon A570is with a 2 GB card, rechargable batteries & Canon UW housing for $430....Already have a Pelican hard case(for my S&S MM II) that I will use for this setup......There are so many Canon's out there, I didn't even make it to the Oly. line....lol....

But I agree, on taking UW shots, when you think you're close enough, get even closer.....good luck.....

We'll have to compare photos at some point :D I know, it has alot to do with the photographer it's not just the camera, but, I am a decent topside picture taker :D

frankc420:
Eh, I think I'll pass on the DSLR for now. :D

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure once my setup shows up at my door, I'll have alot of questions about what each feature does.. So if you guys have some nice sites the explain the features and how to use them, that would be appreciated!

We'll have to compare photos at some point :D I know, it has alot to do with the photographer it's not just the camera, but, I am a decent topside picture taker :D

Watch out, I'm a decent UW(Am.) photographer.........been shooting 35mm--Nick.5 twin strobe & S&S MM--since '95(you wouldn't believe some of the pics my son & I have off Roatan)......just want to see my pics QUICK & edit on the 'go'....

frankc420:
Should I be? This will be my first UW camera so I hope I'm starting off with a good one. I'm going to Key Largo Memorial Day weekend and just wanted something to bring back some memories with. I don't plan to run a strobe, just the internal flash. I will take the photos in RAW format most likely though.

My whole setup is going to cost me about $450, thats the Oly SP-350, 1GB high speed card, 8 hour lipo battery, PT-030 UW case, and 3 year parts/labor warranty. Although, I am going to spend the $15/year for insurance through my home insurance!

I'm pretty good with PS CS. Hope to post some pics BEFORE my Largo trip :D
That's a nice deal! Good luck, and dont forget to do your first dive with the housing only to make sure it is watertight!

diver 85:
Watch out, I'm a decent UW(Am.) photographer.........been shooting 35mm--Nick.5 twin strobe & S&S MM--since '95(you wouldn't believe some of the pics my son & I have off Roatan)......just want to see my pics QUICK & edit on the 'go'....

:useless:

Scuba_Jenny:
That's a nice deal! Good luck, and dont forget to do your first dive with the housing only to make sure it is watertight!

:11: I'm so glad you said that, because, I would have jumped right into the water with the whole setup! <hugs>

Jenny reminded me of another tip.
90+% of all floods are the operators fault. Take great care to clean and inspect your O-rings AND their mating surfaces before closing the housing. I use a magnifying glass to inspect my sealing surfaces every time I close the case, it has saved me from at least 2 floods. Care and patience will pay off.

Back
Top Bottom