Proteus/Dixie Arrow from the Under Pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fpsndiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
On Thursday 8/16/12, we made 2 dives out of Cape Hatteras. The first dive was to the Proteus, 127 fsw. Vis was 40 or so on the bottom, maybe better at times. Temp was 63 below the weird thermocline at 85fsw. Above the thermocline it was 81 or so. The water felt like it burned on the ascent it was so warm...which was a relief for me, as I wasn't wearing the best suit in the world for 63 degree water. Sandtigers all over, a very beautiful wreck that I would like to get back to. Incredible dive, despite the weird water on the bottom...I was grinning ear to ear. I had been attempting this wreck from charters and private boats mainly out of MHC to no avail. Got there on the first try with Capt. JT Barker on the Under Pressure.

2nd Dive was to the Dixie Arrow. Apparently a lot of Hatteras regulars gripe about the Dixie Arrow. Why? I have no idea. Outstanding wrecksite! We had conditions to match. No hard thermocline, water was in the 70s on the bottom, and vis was at times on par with the temperature when you could see through the massive schools of baitfish. There is so much to see on this wreck, I could spend years diving it, and never get enough. Sandtigers, Hog Snapper, Barracuda, Tropicals, Juvenile Tropicals, Stingrays all over the place...more than I've seen on one wrecksite. Octopus! Schools of Jacks compressing the baitfish. That was just the fish, then you have this huge wrecksite, over 400 feet long with plenty of nooks to explore. The wrecksite is fairly easy to navigate, and typical of WWII wrecks, the bow and stern (strongest portions of the ship) remain intact while midships section is broken down. The boilers and engine pronounce loudly you are on the stern, and rearmost you will find the prop, rudder, and steering quadrant with the remnants of a wheelhouse out in the sand aft and starboard.

This was my first dive on the Under Pressure. I consider myself a Wilmington Diver, and I love my dive boat in Wilmington. That being said, however; the lacking crowds of a 6 pack on this size of a boat lends itself to you being able to find yourself your own little quiet nook on the Under Pressure to enjoy the ride out and back. Or...if you prefer to hear one of JT's numerous funny stories, you can ride in the cabin in the AC, avoiding the harsh Carolina Heat. The boat is also equipped with an on-board compressor and bank bottles for air fills/top offs...reducing the equipment load you need to bring aboard. Last but not least, the diver lift. Totally engineered and built by Captain JT Barker. I was amazed at its simplicity, but even more amazed with its performance. JT is a diver, and it shows. Everything that he viewed as a shortfall on other dive boats, he fixed on his. His experiences and wisdom shine through all throughout the Under Pressure. It is an outstanding Dive Platform.

I look forward to getting back to Hatteras soon to dive from her decks again. Video from our dives is below.

[video=youtube;m0n0s3iLNuE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0n0s3iLNuE&feature=autoshare[/video]

TomT

Great video Tom!!!

Could not agree more about JT and his office/boat. I love diving with JT and Bobby when we have the chance. Unfortunately we had been blown out of the 3 weekends I tried getting down at the beginning of the season. It hasn't been a good year for Hatteras diving.

We do the Proteus and DA almost every trip. We LOVE those 2 wrecks and can't wait to see them again. Tom our dives in MHC last month sold me on scootering. I am picking up my first scooter tomorrow evening. I bought a Mako and from what I have read it should be a great scooter for us to start with.

I dove one of my favorite VB wrecks this weekend and had a blast. Can't wait to get back down to the warm blue stuff next month with Kate. BTW the RB guy from our trip was on the boat this weekend and we both agreed that the trip last month was EPIC!

Back
Top Bottom