Protections stepped up for small porpoise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lock_washer

Contributor
Reaction score
I saw this article in the news about the Gulf of California Porpoise "The Vaquita":

Protections stepped up for small porpoise

Granted this small, endangered member of the cetacean family (whales, dolphins, porpoises) doesn't get the same attention as the "Whale Wars", "The Cove", or the "Sea World Killer Whale Incident". But if you are a true whale and dolphin lover, you should care that this small porpoise is down to 150 animals left. Also facing extinction within the next two years due to the death rate from gillnet entanglements.

F.Y.I. These organizations are working to save the vaquita:

Cedo Intercultural - Vaquita
Vaquitamarina.org
The Search for the Desert Porpoise | Whale Trackers
¡Viva Vaquita! | Facebook

Lock Washer

btw: In case you are asking, I have donated money to these organizations.

No reponse to this thread...how sad. They are losing 30 to 40 of these porpoises a year due to the gillnet entrapments. In about two years, this porpoise will go the way of the Chinese River Dolphin, "The Baiji"...EXTINCT! and that happened within the last couple years. Do we need to have the Japanese come in, round them up, and slaughter them with knives to get anymore attention?

Lock Washer

I care Lockwasher - I hope the Vaquita species can pull through. Looks like Mexico is
really trying, unlike the US. I am a member of the "Viva Vaquita" group on FB and I
will join the others. I don't eat shrimp anymore due to the destruction and bycatch.
Sometimes this board can be a bit cold so I use FB for educating and activism.
I have met alot of great activists on FB and would love it if you "friend" me there.
I'd be happy to share them with you.

I care Lockwasher - I hope the Vaquita species can pull through. Looks like Mexico is
really trying, unlike the US. I am a member of the "Viva Vaquita" group on FB and I
will join the others. I don't eat shrimp anymore due to the destruction and bycatch.
Sometimes this board can be a bit cold so I use FB for educating and activism.
I have met alot of great activists on FB and would love it if you "friend" me there.
I'd be happy to share them with you.

Well...at least you responded to my thread.

Interesting note: The Chinese took the last of the finless porpoises into captivity in their area to save them from extinction. They recently just had the Chinese River Dolphin "The Baiji" go extinct.

I know this may be controversial: but with the Vaquita down to 150 animals left, captivity may be the last option to saving this porpoise. Sea World has pioneered artificial insemination with their cetaceans. I can't see why it couldn't be use in this case to save the Vaquita.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom