Protecting banded tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydro212

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to band two bare galvanized steel tanks together. Should I put something between the bands and the tanks to protect them? Paint, rubber, pictures of my ex-wife......

I have heard it both ways. On the one hand, I have been told that the metal to metal contact will cause some form of corrosion even if they are both some form of steel. I had thought that it only happens when there are dissimilar metals but some have told me that it happens anyway even if the same metal.

On the other hand, I have been told that placing something under the bands can trap salt and other things that can corrode the tank.

I am not about to start breaking down my tanks after every dive just to clean under the bands. Sorry, I am not that anal.

I do have rubber under the bands. I just try to soak the tanks in a rinse tank for a minute or so after I come back from a dive, and then I rinse off with a hose. I have had one cylinder inspection since doing this. I did see some material trapped between the bands and the tank but it did not seem to cause any corrosion.

It's probably a question of which is worse rather than does either way work well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom