Prostate Cancer Awareness month

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update: Surgery (last Thursday) went excellent, recovery was a total !@#$% but now that I'm home things are looking better already. I am blessed in that I have a lot of family in this area (I'm a native) and I also have wonderful neighbors. I've got more help than I know what to do with! :)

The next date of importance to me is Feb 4: catheter comes out and I get the pathology report.

cheers & beers,

:drunks::wave:

Update: Surgery (last Thursday) went excellent, recovery was a total !@#$% but now that I'm home things are looking better already. I am blessed in that I have a lot of family in this area (I'm a native) and I also have wonderful neighbors. I've got more help than I know what to do with! :)

The next date of importance to me is Feb 4: catheter comes out and I get the pathology report.

cheers & beers,

I'm to hear everything went well and your back in your home.

I got my catheter out yesterday! Hoooray! I also got the pathology report yesterday.

Bottom line:
Bad news: The cancer was a little worse than we first thought.
Good news: They got it all out.

Detail:
I was first diagnosed as Gleason 6, T1a. In layman's terms that's the simplest stage 1 cancer there is. After the prostate is removed, they test the entire prostate to determine the actual extent of the cancer.

Pathology upgraded me to Gleason 7 (3+4), T2c. In short, the Gleason score is comprised of two numbers, and you want the smaller one first. For example, A Gleason 7 that is 4+3 is more serious than 3+4. The T2c indicates stage 2 cancer and the 'c' means I was in the high range of that stage (each # stage has a,b,c sub-categories).

The good news is that the cancer was entirely contained in the prostate and they got it all out, nice and clean. No lymph nodes, no margins, etc. Long term prognosis is excellent. I go back in three months for blood-work and check-up. Currently no radiation or other treatment is required.

WOOT WOOT!!! :party:

Now for the important questions, When will you be cleared to dive again? :wink:

Congrats AstroDad.

Question for you all: How bad is the digit test really? Is it just a mental thing leading up to it?

I'm only 28 but my family has a nice and strong history of cancer [though not prostate] (and others. We basically just check yes to all family history questions at this point). My brother (who is 10 years older) and I have been talking about this and have come to the conclusion that we'll have to do the tests early and often.

I've just now (from this thread) found out about the PSA blood test. How does that work in conjunction with the digit test?

WOOT WOOT!!! :party:

Now for the important questions, When will you be cleared to dive again? :wink:

March 4. I'm not a fan of real cold water, so I'll probably do something easy in a spring somewhere. A float down the Rainbow maybe...

Question for you all: How bad is the digit test really? Is it just a mental thing leading up to it?

In my experience, it depends in the doc. The first doc that performed the DRE had me lay on a table in a fetal position. It wasn't "fun", but it wasn't that bad either. Certainly no pain. The second doc had me stand, bending over legs spread. I don't know if it was the position or the doc, but that DRE was pretty close to painful.

I have been talking about this and have come to the conclusion that we'll have to do the tests early and often.

Exactly. An Adventure with Prostate Cancer: Numbers don't lie

I've just now (from this thread) found out about the PSA blood test. How does that work in conjunction with the digit test?

A PSA test is a blood test that tests for the presence of Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA). This antigen is a protein produced by the prostate gland. The prostate will produce this antigen for a number of reasons, but one is the presence of prostate cancer. If you have a PSA test that comes back with an elevated value (>2.5ng/ml) the doc is going to perform a DRE, and possibly a biopsy.

Important to remember:
  • A PSA test is a blood test. It can be part of your next cholesterol check. You do not need to see a urologist to have this test.
  • A PSA test will catch cancer on average, 10 years sooner than a DRE. Early detection is key.
  • Your life time odds of having prostate cancer are 1 in 6. Your odds of having it before age 40 are 1 in 10,000. Pretty good, huh? Well, once you cross that 40 mark, your odds drop to 1 in 38. From 1/10,000 to 1/38.

March 4. I'm not a fan of real cold water, so I'll probably do something easy in a spring somewhere. A float down the Rainbow maybe...

maybe a few of us could get together? depending on when it is :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom