Prostate Cancer Awareness month

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dad was just diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. . . goes for appt to discuss options tomorrow . . . I had no idea it was so prevelant until I talked to dad about it . . .

The only advice I can give is be there for him. Offer still stands, if he wants to talk about it with some one that has been through it I will PM my phone number

The only advice I can give is be there for him. Offer still stands, if he wants to talk about it with some one that has been through it I will PM my phone number

Thanks, PM it to me I will pass it along please.

They said they caught it "early" . . . They are all hopeful . . .

I'm due for my annual in a month or so. PSA has been part of it since I turned 40. My insurance covers it, they are drawing blood anyway for cholesterol and all the other stuff so it'd be stupid to not ask for it. In fact our new supplemental insurance carrier(Allstate) at work actually pays me 25 bucks each for 4 tests that my doc prescribes as part of my physical. It's reward for being proactive. So it's a good deal-25 dollar dr copay- get 100 back!

Well thats one board member that has, it one board member with a family member that has it and one member that had it.

I do hope this thread prompts at least a few people to start checks, if it doe's it was worth it

My dad was just diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. . . goes for appt to discuss options tomorrow . . . I had no idea it was so prevelant until I talked to dad about it . . .

I was diagnosed one week ago today, so I'm not much help. I'm still in the "holy crap, I've got cancer" stage myself.

There are a lot of options out there and no one solution is perfect for everyone. Don't be shy or ashamed to talk to him about anything. Ask the questions you really want to ask. It's OK. Trust me, your modesty is tossed out the window long before you know you have prostate cancer. At least that's been my experience...

BTW: What's your PSA?

I was diagnosed one week ago today, so I'm not much help. I'm still in the "holy crap, I've got cancer" stage myself.

There are a lot of options out there and no one solution is perfect for everyone. Don't be shy or ashamed to talk to him about anything. Ask the questions you really want to ask. It's OK. Trust me, your modesty is tossed out the window long before you know you have prostate cancer. At least that's been my experience...

If you want to keep your modesty then you will not ask all the right questions = will not get all the answers. I dont mined admiting I peed my self on a few occasions and had trouble with my best friend

With a family history of it (several of my uncles have had it), I started getting checked around age 40. I had both the blood and the digital check done during my physical a few months ago. I also had my first colonoscopy this year (I'll be 49 in November).

Get checked; the minor discomfort of the screening is nothing compared to the major discomfort of the treatment if a cancer is allowed to advance before it's detected. This is particularly an area of "what you don't know CAN hurt you." Ignorance is not bliss, and pretending everything is fine won't make a tumor go away once it's started growing.

Thanks for posting this, Astro Dad. My graduate school advisor and good friend has gone through surgery and chemo for prostate cancer. There are some signs that can help spot this early (although my understanding is that they may or may not occur). In particular, my friend found that he had to urinate much more than usual. Here's a link to symptoms from the Prostate Cancer Foundation:

Prostate Cancer Symptoms - Prostate Cancer Foundation

I only had one of those symptoms: difficultly starting urination, and it was occasional at that. I thought it was just "getting older" and paid no mind to it. I didn't go frequently, except when drinking beer :), hardly ever at night, no pain, no burning. I paid attention to the Avodart commercial - what they described wasn't me, so I figured I was fine...

BTW: What's your PSA?

I am a blunt kind guy . . . I went to a Dr today and mentioned my dad had PC, she didnt seem to pressed to get me tested, I just turned 26 . . .

Had no idea what PSA was until my good friend, google, told me . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom