Prospective diver - ear problems.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bennenrkc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi My name is Ben,

I would love to take up diving, some of the pictures that you people post are just way to enticing, let alone I love water, anything about it. Which brings me to my problem, water doesnt seem to like me.

I have had 3 sets of Tubes as a kid. Just about everyother time I go into the water I get an earache. They have become so routine for me that I dont go to the dr. and often times go on with my day no problems whatsoever. I am concerned about diving, because of the amount of pressure involved. I can equalize pressure in both of my ears without a problem, with the exception of my left ear which ever since I was a kid I have been able to blow air through it (i periodically have been able to do that with my right ear). It was only recently when discussing diving with my wife that I learned that was not normal.

I have a meeting with an ENT (not approved or reffered to by DAN as I live in Iowa and Diving isnt that common), on March 27th and I would like to know as much as possible before going in. ( I attempted to find one that DAN has worked with but they said none were in my area.

I have done as much research as I can online and feel that I have a somewhat good handle on it but would like other people's experience/advice to help guide my way.

I have read about doc's proplugs, (vented) I have a set on the way that I am going to play with in the pool.

I have read about the ProEar 2000. I also have one of these on the way to try at the local pool.

I have also read that their are several people that are able to dive using these to devices even though they have a perforated ear drum. But are there other devices that I should be looking into?

If this is in the wrong subsection of the forum, mods please move it.

Thanks in advance.

This has been cross posted from the basic forum per a suggestion from another member.

Given I have no real experience in informing others from any sort of educated medical perspective, If you're open to telephone conversations you can always give DAN (Divers Alert Network) a call 1-800-446-2671, ext 222 between: Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. (ET) and have a chat with doctors that are directly experienced in scuba diving but given they're unable to give you a medical examination over the phone, they may just be able to evaluate and assess what your doctor tells you from your appointment. All still I'd shoot them a call. You can also email them through Scuba Diving Medical Safety Advice ? DAN | Divers Alert Network

I'll let others chime in on medical things as my level of education here is very minimal :( I hope you get to become a sea demon like the rest of us :D

If you can, in fact, blow air THROUGH your ear, then your eardrum is perforated. Allowing seawater into the middle ear is a setup for infection, and in general, people with perforated eardrums are not advised to dive. None of the earplug systems is good enough to prevent any water from entering the middle ear.

Your plan of getting an evaluation by an ENT doc is a good one. If it turns out your drums are intact, then nothing you have said suggests that you would be unable to dive. The big requirement for diving is the ability to equalize ears and sinuses, and if you can do that, you're good to go.

If you are prone to outer ear infections as a result of exposure to water, then there are eardrops you can use to help prevent that (LOTS of threads about "ear beer" here, with recipes).

You might benefit from watching Dr. Kay's video on the diver's ear. It's long, but extremely educational.

I think I just died a bit inside... so gross.
I don't know how it got that name. I don't think I have ever used it, but many do.

I think the doc visit is not only a good idea, it is an absolute necessity. Hope things turn out well for you, good luck at the doc.

I use the commercially prepared drops to keep my ears healthy. I have only had 1 outer ear infection I would consider being cause by diving. I got it after 6 days of diving and it started the day after I got home from the trip. I use it to prevent the possibility. Since I have started using it I have never had another problem.

So just got back from the Dr. and he said that he sees no perforation or anything that would limit me from diving. So I am really excited and can not harldy wait for tax season to get done so my wife and I will have time to get in the pool.

Wonderful news!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom