Pros & Cons of Using a Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have about 40 dives on surface supply using an AGA.

Pro- warm face = somewhat warmer all around, sealed from water if you use a dry hood, comms although sometimes you just want peace :)

Con- high volume, harder to clear if flooded and somewhat bouyant. Harder to clear your ears - the nose block does not fit my shnooz very well. Easier to fog if the valves aren't perfect, easier to rebreath mask gas and have excess CO2. Very expensive. The AGA skirts are somewhat fragile and finicky to adjust too, the ear peices make adjustments, esp. UW difficult. The AGA has a stupid backwards hose routing from the left. Requires a swivel on the joint which is an extra failure point I wouldn't want on a deco dive. With the AGA you'd need a switch block to change gases since it only has one reg built in. Take your reg out = lose your vision.

Honestly if you don't have to have FFM, I don't understand the appeal. I understand that other brands may solve some of these cons. Don't know much about those.

How is that? One would still have an octopus to share with his/her buddy. For the FFM diver s/he can carry a spare mask if they need to use their octo or their buddy's.

You have to remove your mask before you can share gas. It is not impossible, but it is a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

Is there a reason why you started three threads about this?

Some of the features for Full Face Masks are:
Totally eliminates jaw fatigue
Advanced air circulation prevents mask fogging
Breathe comfortably and naturally through both your nose and mouth
Mask flooding is almost eliminated
Nitrox Compatible to 40% (The Recreational Limits of Nitrox)
Diver communications option available
Integrated high performance 2nd stage
Some, like the AGA, have side exhaust for less bubble interference
Works with most 1st stage regulators
The AGA Mask only works with their Supply Hose, mask will not work with a standard regulator hose
There is an Optional AGA Hose Swivel converts regulator to use a standard regulator hose
Buy Ocean Technology AGA Full Face Mask MKii-G and other scuba diving gear at scuba.com

Here are some of the features for the Space by Oceanreef:
The Neptune Space is the latest and most innovative mask in the Neptune Series
Integrated surface air valve eliminates wasted air on the surface
State-of-the-art integrated regulator
Reduced internal volume for excellent buoyancy
Improved visual field; visible light transfer of visor is 92%
Premium grade silicone rubber bellows-type skirt for fit and comfort
Durable, scratch-resistant visor
4-position adjustable exhaust valve for directing the exhaust for the best vision
Patented 3-D equalization system for easy ear clearing
Six strap head harness providing firm mask positioning and quick mask donning and doffing
Easy access purge button
Excellent for use in extreme conditions
Buy Ocean Reef Neptune Space Full Face Mask with 2nd Stage 33370 and other scuba diving gear at scuba.com

Curiosity got the better of me, and I went looking for the info -- Here's the brochure on the underwater cellphone accessory. The short answer is that it seems to involve a 40m cable to a buoy at the surface, where the cell phone is kept in a waterproof box.

Since you've already got a cable going, it seems like the next logical step is satellite TV. Guess you'd have to use one of those auto-tracking RV setups though. :D

Good find Travis....I didnt know exactly about it because we dont sell it.........

WEll if we can get them to Take their Cellphone FFM, Oceanics HUD, we can even watch football while were diving when Travis comes up with that Satellite option :D

Can be more expensive too...on one of your other threads, the Switchbock was talked about, they range from $300-500...expensive option to keep the FFM on(for gas sharing), but can be a necessity....our PSD teams use them for the pony bottles

I have no practical experience with them outside wearing a remote speaker on a dive and listening to divers trying to communicate....the 5 divers I have persl. known that bought them-sold them in a year.

Additional Pro: If you tox, you may just live.

Additional Con: If you go OOG, it seems like a giant cluster. Although, I don't know this for sure since I have never used one.

From my experience with them (OceanReef, Scubapro), I would list the same cons at what rjack listed along with if you have to receive donated gas or switch to your alternate for some reason then you not only lose your regulator, but you lose your mask. If you are diving in contaminated water or cold water then that's not going to be the most pleasant experience and adds extra task loading.

There certainly is a cool factor to them, but there aren't many dives where they would be required equipment.

Is there a reason why you started three threads about this?

I was just going to post it to the tech forum, but thought I'd get different perspectives if I posted it to a couple of different forums. So far that's pretty much been the case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom