Pros / Cons of TDI/SDI Tank VIP Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

??? Since the PSI recert is anywhere from $195 to $275 (depending on instructor/location) how can SDI be $600 cheaper?

Out of curiosity, how is it the re-cert class is so high? When I renewed my PSI/PCI cert it was only $95 online.

Out of curiosity, how is it the re-cert class is so high? When I renewed my PSI/PCI cert it was only $95 online.
I think it depends on whether you are in-cert or out-of-cert....I just grabbed some prices off their website.

because that's what we charge ...mine includes accommodation ....jay what kind of shope REQUIRES EDDY for all alm ? not just the 6351 ?

how can a vip course be taught completely over the internet ? how are standards measured ? i only ask as the course SDI teaches was yours

Because its a scam to get to you "renew" regularly within the magical 3 years based on a very selective reading of the CFRs that you can only understand if you squint just right with your PSI glasses on.

I first took a PSI class when it was a lifetime cert. A lifetime cert cannot be legally be retroactively changed to an expiring certification, according to a DOT inspector who was inspecting the facility where i worked.

(Of course there was nothing to stop PSI changing the cert to a three year period going forward.)

Having said that, i take the inspection training periodically at my employer's expense to stay current and fresh, even though i do inspections daily.

I first took a PSI class when it was a lifetime cert. A lifetime cert cannot be legally be retroactively changed to an expiring certification, according to a DOT inspector who was inspecting the facility where i worked.

To do the annual scuba industry VIPs there are no standards at all. You are not technically required to even be trained.

Hydrostatic retesters are required to be trained and they are also authorized to condemn tanks as part of their pre hydro visuals.

There is one location that sent out an email stating they will only fill cylinders with an inspection sticker that has a shop name and address. Supposedly for liability reasons if something turns out to be wrong with the cylinder. However the sticker doesn't need to have an inspector name or number on it.

Back
Top Bottom