Pros and Cons of the Hog D1? Mouth piece preference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gotair?

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was hoping to get some opinions on the Hog D1 1st and 2nd. The good the bad and the ugly. Please only people that use or have used them before. Also does anyone have a preference with mouth pieces? Sea cure? or any other type? Be nice this time..:nailbiter:

Thank you in advance for your time.

I have a few sets of HOG regs and have no complaints about them. Great breathing regs at a great price!

As for the mouthpiece, It's much more durrable compared to the comfobites on my Aqualung regs, however, it is larger. It's hard to say which mouthpiece is better, I may switch the HOG ones out for the comfobites and give it a try.

Well i haven't put much use onto my HOG's yet (D1 Cold 1st stage) but they breath just as easy, if not easier than my Aqualung Legend LX regs which cost 4 times as much. I actually really like the mouthpiece too, it's quite soft and doesn't dig into my gums like some cheap ones do. So far very happy.

I can't speak to your first question because I don't have a HOG reg, but on the subject mouthpieces in general, I like the Comfo-Bite and have put one on my second stage in place of the original. I like the "cross bar" on them because it feels like the reg stays in my mouth more "automatically."

I first found them when a snorkel I bought years ago came with one. I'm sure there are many sources; I get them from Dive Gear Express from which they come packaged with a low-profile Zip-tie (After using the latter I ordered more of them separately from McMaster-Carr just to have them on hand).

CBMP_2-125.jpg

Reactions: Tug
Great balanced 2nd stage.
I have several I've been using for over 2 years....no complaints.
Breathes as well as any other balanced 2nd (G250, 600, Zeagle , Apeks ......)

The mouthpiece it comes with is fine.
Prefer the Comfobite or the one with the "winged" bite tabs.
Hate the SeaCure....too big and makes me gag.

I have four HOG D1 firsts and five D1 seconds, so my opinion may be skewed. The HOG regs breath great, I've been using them for three years and have not had any problems yet. Kinda makes you wonder why other regs cost three times as much.

I started using them long before I started selling them. I have no issues with them. As for the stock mouthpiece on the reg I actually switched from a comfo bite to it and like it better. I used a comfo bite for 4 years on every reg I owned until I got the HOG's. I fully expected to switch out but decided to give it a decent try. To that end I went a did a shallow solo in a local lake with my double 72's.

After 2 1/2 hours underwater I still felt no jaw fatigue or any kind of discomfort. Now the comfo bites were the same as to being able to do long dives or multiple dives but they can be expensive and were hard to find at one time. I know where to get em now, but do not need to unless a student wants it. The HOG is a tiny bit bigger but for me it;s a non issue. But I have had a couple ladies with smaller mouths who found the comfo more to their liking.

I currently have a doubles set, a singles set, and two stage rigs with D-1 colds and HOG seconds. Soon all my regs will be HOG or Edge as I'm replacing my other ones as I sell them off.

I love thinner mouthpieces that stick slightly further back into your mouth. I think dive rite markets it as the "long bite." some other company sells a similar one with anti microbial rubber, cheap but works perfectly. I hate diving with comfo bites as they make me gag, and I hate any thick mouthpiece. But, its hugely open to personal experience and preference. They are cheap, so don't hesitate to try out a new one from time to time. Ones you dislike make great backups for your save a dive kit!

Use to be a long time Apeks user...No real complaints about them [used them for all types of diving]..... But the Hogs are better made, breath easier and my main reason for switching was Aqualung's refusal to sell parts/rebuild kits to divers, price fixing and their lack of monitoring of their so-called "autorized techs"....When I factored in the BIG difference in price, it was an easy decision to switch...Been using Hog/Edge for about a year now mostly for deep/cave [I dive weekly] and never regretted the decision......As far as the mouth piece, that's totally a personal preference....There are so many different types [they're inexpensive] and as others have said just try them until you find what works best for you.......

Back
Top Bottom