Proposed Ship Reef off Galveston Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is quite a bit left of the Topper 3, You might also want to check out the Ocean Express, it went down under tow in 4-76 in 200'
There are also other options on boats that you mightlook at. If you could get enough divers 10+ you might be able to afford a small crew boat for a day

Randy
Sport Divers
281-338-1611

Last edited:
Looks like there is a tech-lite trip getting planned on the Fling for June 19-20. I'll make a new post about it as well, but contact Island Divers Galveston for more details.

-Chris

For Tec Divers The Topper Three would be great, Close to that is TPWD site of HI492 These are deep dives in open gulf Capt Randy at Sport Divers has been on the topper 111 many times as I have.. Also near the ocean express, is another Deck Chevron 712 Another TPWD Site Artificial Reef Site. Nobody has mentioned the Buccaneers twin sites I have gone to the VA Fogg then over to the Bucs and back to freeport. Capt Randy is correct the six pack charters on weekends are marginally profitable, we need site's that can take a fuel efficient vessel with 10 to 12 divers on and the proposed TPWD site is a start.

Thank you, Chris, and Randy for replying with information on places to dive near Stetson Bank. One day soon I'll ride over to Sport Divers and visit with Randy in person to find out more about Topper III.

For Tec Divers The Topper Three would be great, Close to that is TPWD site of HI492 These are deep dives in open gulf Capt Randy at Sport Divers has been on the topper 111 many times as I have.. Also near the ocean express, is another Deck Chevron 712 Another TPWD Site Artificial Reef Site. Nobody has mentioned the Buccaneers twin sites I have gone to the VA Fogg then over to the Bucs and back to freeport. Capt Randy is correct the six pack charters on weekends are marginally profitable, we need site's that can take a fuel efficient vessel with 10 to 12 divers on and the proposed TPWD site is a start.

How's the search progressing for a large vessel to sink offshore from Galveston in deep water?

Construct a new 80-acre ship reef site 67 miles offshore of Galveston. “This project will depend on whether we can find a contractor who can get a large enough ship, clean it to our standards, and then reef it,” Shively says. Estimated cost: $1,919,765.

We are still finalizing the Request for Proposals, which should be posted soon-ish.

No specific vessel has been identified yet.

-Chris

We are still finalizing the Request for Proposals, which should be posted soon-ish.

No specific vessel has been identified yet.

-Chris

Are any light cruisers available? I just dove the USS Wilkes Barre yesterday while wrapping up a Dry Tortugas normoxic trip aboard the MV Spree, and really enjoyed diving the WWII era naval ship.

Are any light cruisers available? I just dove the USS Wilkes Barre yesterday while wrapping up a Dry Tortugas normoxic trip aboard the MV Spree, and really enjoyed diving the WWII era naval ship.

Unlikely, unfortunately. The Navy stopped their ReefX program after the Oriskany I think. Not to say that it is impossible, but the military isn't keen on sinking ships for reefs these days. Somebody recently got a Mexican Naval vessel though, maybe that would be an option.

Island Divers scheduled a charter aboard the Fling for Rebreather divers for Oct 25/26 earlier this year. Unfortunately this trip was cancelled a couple of months ago as a Rebreather trip due to lack of interest. I really wish this trip would have gone as a Tech/Rebreather trip because the sea's where flat yesterday which would have made for an excellent Flower Gardens & Stetson Bank experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom