Proposed Ship Reef off Galveston Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a lot of ifs still but with the proper type wreck I think you would see someone bring in a 12-20 passenger boat that could run cheaper and still possibly do 3 tanks. Due to the distance the third tank would probably be in the Star Reef/V A Fogg area. Something you may not know is that there are a couple of other wrecks in that general area that would also be visited with the addition of a signature wreck. Rember the economy of diving the Texas gulf is based on three things 1.Weather 2. Distance 3. The number of divers that are activly trying to access trips. There are more day boats working the upper Texas coast now than I have ever seen, a new wreck will just increase that number.

Randy

TP&W is talking about another site out of Galveston. This one is close in but I would probably dive it after a year or two.

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
News Release
Thursday, March 13, 2014

Public Hearing Set for Proposed 160 Acre Public Artificial Reef Site

AUSTIN— The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department is proposing to create a new 160 acre public artificial reef site south of the Galveston Jetties. The proposed site is six and a half miles from the shoreline in about 48 feet of water.

A public hearing to discuss the proposal is set for 7 p.m. on Wednesday, April 2 at the Galveston Yacht Basin, 715 North Holiday Dr., Galveston, TX, 77550. For directions, call 409-765-3000.

The public may also provide input by contacting Dale Shively at 512-389-4686 or Dale.shively@tpwd.texas.gov.

I went to the meeting last night, the proposed site is off of Jamica Beach and I,m sure will be a good fish nursery. After the meeting was over and folks were just talking it came out theat BA A-19 is going to be removed. For those who may not be familiar with the platform name it's a triple structure about 19 miles out of Matagorda or about 50 miles south of Freeport. This structure has been one of the more popular dive sites on the upper Texas coast for years so I would reccomend everyone try and get out before its removed. I don't know how long we have before removal.

Randy

Randy, thanks for coming out for the meeting. Input at this stage for the Galveston nearshore reef is important to us. Once we start filing for permits, it’s pretty much a done deal as far as locations go.

Also to address a few of Bill Parkers comments; We are looking for a 300-500’ vessel for the site, so we need the 138’ depth in order to leave some of the superstructure intact. At this point we have gotten verbal permission from the US Coast Guard for a 60’ clearance, and the official application is in process. So we are planning on having structure up to 60 feet, which is the same minimum depth as the Flower Garden and Stetson Banks.

The site is situated 61 miles from the Freeport jetties, and 58 miles from the Galveston jetties. By comparison Stetson is 70 and 73 miles from Freeport and Galveston respectively. There are two reasons it is that far out; we need the depth for the size of the structure, and we want there to be decent visibility regularly so people will want to go dive the site. Poor vis is likely the primary reason that the Vancouver and Freeport Liberty Ships sites aren’t dove very often.

The other new reef sites are nearshore (within state waters) and are primarily intended for fishing areas. You are certainly welcome to dive them whenever you like, and can get good bottom time, but you won’t see much most of the time as visibility will probably be less than 2 feet on good days. I’m sure there will be epic days of 20-30’ vis once every few years (with the requisite schooling whale sharks, Killer whales, and billfish decimating a giant bait ball), but you’ll have to go out a lot to happen to get one of those days.

I agree that diving off shore in Texas is expensive. I would love there to be an option for a dive site with 100’ vis in 50’ of water 10 miles from shore. What I wouldn’t love is having to move to Florida to get that. I would also love to keep some of the rigs standing as they are, but that isn’t my call, and the liability is too high for anyone to pony up the money (so far). If that does ever happen, it won’t be at a rig that is in 100’ of water anyway, it’ll be at a rig in 300-600’ of water.

But give it a few years and we’ll have new rigs with windmills on top to dive and fish.

-Chris

I believe this area could get 10 ft vis in late summer. I do hope we will get the windmills.

A 19 would be a great addition to the program unfortunately TPWD is running into roadblocks.A 20 was put down 20 years ago close enough for a cluster with A19 platforms in mind. However new lawyers and federal bureaucracy continues.I have been waiting for them to come up with the old excuse that sinking these rigs will enable foreign submarines to hide behind them. I guess most weren't born yet.

I hope TPWD does sink a large ship offshore from Galveston/Freeport in deep clear water for diving. My other wish is for TPWD to acquire a vessel in the size of USS Forrestal and sink it near Stetson Bank. Depth around Stetson would provide a great place for Technical and Rebreather divers.
Here's a great video showing ships sunk offshore from Pompano Beach FL during the 80's-90's in 165-235' of water.
POMPANO BEACH WRECK DIVING - APRIL 2014 - YouTube

---------- Post added April 11th, 2014 at 10:27 AM ----------

Oh I remember the two trips I was able to make to rigs on Captain Beard's boat. It was a
blast. I saw he went to star reef last summer but I couldn't make. Make this year I will
be able to make it if he goes back. I WANT to go.

I submitted a comment. I told them I was against the Galveston proposal but for the
others. The reason is the Galveston wreck is too far out to be practical. It's 67 miles
off shore. And the trip will be even farther because it doesn't start at the closest
beach but wherever the boat is docked. Fish N Divers are based in Galveston and they
want $500 to go to Stetson Bank (about 60 miles from Freeport) and you only have
time for two tanks because it's so far. So it will cost even MORE to get to the
Galveston wreck. And the depth of the Galveston wreck is a whopping 135 feet. We
don't know how tall the wreck would be at this time but even using a nitrox and a
dive computer you won't get much bottom time at those depths. That's a long way
to go and a lot of money for two short dives. About the only boat that would visit a
site at a reasonable cost this far out would be the M/V Fling. Comparing the proposed
Galveston wreck to existing dives sites along the coast and the additional proposed
dive sites further South you'll get more dives and more bottom time and shorter bumpy
boat rides for a lot less money.

Technical and rebreather divers would love deeper dives offshore, and the more ships scuttled the better. Just watching this video shows how far ahead Florida is compared to Texas. Ships need to be scuttled in deep enough water to provide decent visibility, and far enough offshore to have the deep clear water.
Scuttling large ships is deep/clear water could benefit Ocean Corp and TX A&M Galveston, not just us local divers.

Last edited:
I hope TPWD does sink a large ship offshore from Galveston/Freeport in deep clear water for diving. My other wish is for TPWD to acquire a vessel in the size of USS Forrestal and sink it near Stetson Bank. Depth around Stetson would provide a great place for Technical and Rebreather divers.
Here's a great video showing ships sunk offshore from Pompano Beach FL during the 80's-90's in 165-235' of water.

---------- Post added April 11th, 2014 at 10:27 AM ----------

Technical and rebreather divers would love deeper dives offshore, and the more ships scuttled the better. Just watching this video shows how far ahead Florida is compared to Texas. Ships need to be scuttled in deep enough water to provide decent visibility, and far enough offshore to have the deep clear water.
Scuttling large ships is deep/clear water could benefit Ocean Corp and TX A&M Galveston, not just us local divers.

That 2nd one, ?The Sucre, is seriously 'infected' with lionfish...:)...ie go to the 3 minute mark of the 2nd video you posted....

How much does it cost the MV Fling to travel from Stetson Bank to Flower Gardens?
I would love to dive a deep clear water ship Saturday morning and Stetson Bank Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning could be spent diving a deep water rig &/or deep clear water ship &/or Stetson Bank again. Fuel savings could lower Fling overhead, so maybe they could operate with fewer divers onboard and allow for Technical doubles & Rebreathers.

More artificial reef video's from Pompano Beach FL:
http://youtu.be/7-V-i1pnpk0
http://youtu.be/xAPwAo3f7VI
http://youtu.be/XCfJGf_WD4Y
http://youtu.be/8WyqL5H741M
http://youtu.be/8ViTM_fyWqU

Let's get some ships scuttled near Stetson Bank.

Last edited:
How much does it cost the MV Fling to travel from Stetson Bank to Flower Gardens?
I would love to dive a deep clear water ship Saturday morning and Stetson Bank Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning could be spent diving a deep water rig &/or deep clear water ship &/or Stetson Bank again. Fuel savings could lower Fling overhead, so maybe they could operate with fewer divers onboard and allow for Technical doubles & Rebreathers.

More artificial reef video's from Pompano Beach FL:
Scuba Diving with Dive Rite, Pompano Beach, Florida - YouTube
Rebreather Diving, Rodeo 25 Wreck, Pompano Beach, Florida - YouTube
Rebreather Diving, Ancient Mariner Wreck, Pompano Beach, South Florida - YouTube
Rebreather Diving, Scubatyme Charters, Pompano Beach, Florida - YouTube
CCR Compilation - YouTube

Let's get some ships scuttled near Stetson Bank.

IMO, it's a pipe dream......But, I'm with you........

Back
Top Bottom