Property Taxes Hamper Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mnj1233:
Im curious what are they like in Cal? Lets say a $500,000 house if you can find one LOL.
Well, you could get a $500,000 condo - that's what I've got. But, because of weird prop 13 laws and the fact that I inherited it from my grandparents (had to buy out the family, but it still was a direct line to a relative, so the prop. value got passed down), I'm still assessed at the $10,000 they paid for their original house in 1955. I pay $700/year in property tax in CA.

mnj1233:
My assessment just went up $81,000.00 on my home. My taxes are now $5,000+ per year. This is two trips I could take!!!!! When will this madness end.
The madness ends when you sell your house. Then use the proceeds to fund a lot more than just two trips. :) You'll have a lot more time for diving, too, once you dump the house and the associated maintenance.

I have basically no land my house takes it all up and my taxes are near 15K (yes, that is fifteen)?!@?#!@#? Lets see here:

3,635 County operating
300 Childrens board
45 Environmental land
2,700 CountyMSTU
400 Library
300 County transportation authority (I don't ride the bus - futher why r the few people that use it having to pay to get on the bus.)
140 Port Authority
370 Water management
20 Parks
4,300 Schools
2,300 Community Development (there is nothing left to develop)
And a few smaller amounts

You think you are going to grow-up, work hard, buy a house, pay it off, and dive happily ever after, but no. You will continue to pay. You always seem to owe someone. Following is my pity party, lol. :pity_part :pity_part

Hey that California thing sounds great! At least on the surface.

Missdirected:
I have basically no land my house takes it all up and my taxes are near 15K (yes, that is fifteen)?!@?#!@#? Lets see here:

3,635 County operating
300 Childrens board
45 Environmental land
2,700 CountyMSTU
400 Library
300 County transportation authority (I don't ride the bus - futher why r the few people that use it having to pay to get on the bus.)
140 Port Authority
370 Water management
20 Parks
4,300 Schools
2,300 Community Development (there is nothing left to develop)
And a few smaller amounts

You think you are going to grow-up, work hard, buy a house, pay it off, and dive happily ever after, but no. You will continue to pay. You always seem to owe someone. Following is my pity party, lol. :pity_part :pity_part

Hey that California thing sounds great! At least on the surface.

So is it safe to assume that states with no income tax get it thru there property/sales tax!!!! My state income tax is 6.5% sales tax is 5.5% and the property taxes equate to about 5% of my income. Sound comparable when you add them all up. If I move outta this house its rentals for me. Id rather invest the equity at
this stage of the game.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom