Property Taxes Hamper Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It varies from town to town, depending upon what bond issues there are, etc., but figure 1.1% to 1.25% based on the purchase price with increases limited to 2% a year.

Dr. Bill, president of the HOA? I should have warned you. Trust me, a thankless job.

LOL on the 500,000 house....not in the Bay Area or Los Angeles. A condo maybe...
I just got my tax bill..Ill have to give a break down-like the good Dr said lots of other stuff to pay for too..
Ill take a closer look and re-post the info.

Get it re-appraised by someone who you pay, then bring it down to your tax office.

They'll get a value that's closer to reality, and the city/county whatever will generally accept them, since it's difficult for them to justify valuing your house differently than a similar house in a similar area.

Terry

mnj1233:
My assessment just went up $81,000.00 on my home. My taxes are now $5,000+ per year. This is two trips I could take!!!!! When will this madness end.

kelpmermaid:
Dr. Bill, president of the HOA? I should have warned you. Trust me, a thankless job.

Mary Lou... fortunately it is a very small HOA. I've been treasurer the past five years and got tired of having to remind everyone to pay their dues (oops, I'm still 7 months in arrears, but that will be my "Christmas present" to the HOA next month) so I could pay the bills. President is much easier... I just have to chair the annual meeting.

In NY my property taxes are over 12k per year for an acre of wooded property in a nice neighborhood. Top that! Don't forget that property taxes are a tax deduction, at least for now.

Web Monkey:
Get it re-appraised by someone who you pay, then bring it down to your tax office.

They'll get a value that's closer to reality, and the city/county whatever will generally accept them, since it's difficult for them to justify valuing your house differently than a similar house in a similar area.

Terry

Had a meeting with the assessor (sp) yesterday and $81,000 increase is the reduced amount. It was over $100,000 till I told him my windows were old.

I bought my Condo for 375k and my taxes is 5k/year. Are you telling me they can come, re-assess your house and you must pay more taxes? *** is that?

ShakaZulu:
I bought my Condo for 375k and my taxes is 5k/year. Are you telling me they can come, re-assess your house and you must pay more taxes? *** is that?

In most states yes thats true. Taxes you pay rise with the CURRENT assessed value. In Cal they passed Prop 13 which freezes the tax rate at the purchase amount.

Texas property taxes are high to make up for our lack of a state income tax. I'm not particularly complaining.

Back
Top Bottom