proper wearing of semi-dry wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajtoady

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know this may sound like a "dumb" question, but, I am curious as to wether to wear a hooded vest on the inside or on the outside of a semi-dry wetsuit. I went cold water diving (33-36 degree water) a couple of weeks ago in a farmer john wetsuit. I had a buddy who let me use a hood of his and I was hooked. I have since bought an 8 mm full body semi dry with hooded vest, used, and was wondering about the best arrangement for warmth and dry. I am going for my ice diver cert. in a week so I would like to not look like too much of a idiot. Thanks to all.:coffee::confused:

It's personal preference and comfort.
I've seen it done both ways. For some, having the hooded under keeps you warmer and "dryer"
For others, having it over does the exact same thing.

There's also those who can't wear the hooded vest on the inside because their jacket then becomes too tight.

It's all up to you, feel free to experiment. You can't go wrong either way.

I will say right now, having no experience with semi-dry suits: I think having the hooded vest under would break the semi-dry suit's neck seal, rendering it a wet suit. :idk:
(break as in open it up, not as in actually tearing the seal or anything like that)

Depends what semi-dry you bought?

With my old Scubapro Scotia ( which I miss as if i'd lost a leg :shakehead: ) I always wore my hood on with the collar on the outside, as opposed to tucking it in as the neck seal was made of a very soft neoprene: easily stretched.

Although with my Waterproof Lynx (which makes me miss my Scotia even more) I tuck it in as the neck seal is designed that way.

As mentioned already it is a preference thing. However I have learned from experience with my Nova Scotia to fold all seals (neck, wrists, and ankles) in on itself and wear the hoodie on the outside, if worn on the inside it will lose the tight seal that lets water/cold in. The folding of the seals provides a very good seal and I never get more that a couple of ounces of water in the suit. On deeper dives (40m plus) I actually let water into the suit to avoid suit squeeze, that’s how good they system seals!!!

If the vest has a smooth-skin seal on the neck that seals against the neck of the semi-dry suit - and it's comfortable ie not too tight - then wear it under. If not, don't

Back
Top Bottom