proper valve drill for GUE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Above points are all good. Your valve drill is pretty standard as to do what when. If I may make a suggestion and only because I have seen so many divers fail to do this and relize that they now have no air in their left post to breathe.

I suggest that you check your left post to make certain it is open and not rolled off before shutting down your right post. To purge the left post reg is a good idea but too many times people don't notice their spg and only lightly tap the purge button then continue to make the switch after shutting and breathing down their right post. Because they didn't physically check the left post at the valve they now have no air to breathe

Signal buddy for attention
Confirm left post open at the valve
shut down right post
breath down right post
switch to left post clear and breath
clip off right post
open right post
close left post
breath left post down
unclip right post
clear and breath on right post
open left post
close center post
open center post

Have your buddy time you and try to do this in under 60 seconds

We were taught during cave 1 and 2 to signal as you close a valve. You are just telling your team you are shutting something down. The attention signal during valve drills is to mimick what you would be doing in a real dive situation. Shutting down and getting the teams attention at the same time.

Jason B:
The attention signal is usually done when you need to get your buddy's attention, hence the name of the signal. So DIR teaches to use the "attention signal" to denote that you are okay (when there is a separate signal that means okay). I know you didn't use the word okay, but if "you aren't having any problems or difficulty", then you are okay.

I could see them wanting you to signal your buddy "attention, I have an issue with my valves" and then you go about your business and take care of the problem. But I find it odd that you have to keep on signaling "attention". Especially if your buddy is looking right at you giving you his attention.

Dan Gibson:
We were taught during cave 1 and 2 to signal as you close a valve. You are just telling your team you are shutting something down. The attention signal during valve drills is to mimick what you would be doing in a real dive situation. Shutting down and getting the teams attention at the same time.

Agreed, but that is not what PfcAJ said.....

Correct. I was just confirming and probably replied on a less than ideal post.

Jason B:
Agreed, but that is not what PfcAJ said.....

Tobin's post at 6:33pm yesterday is what JJ taught in Fundies in January '06.

GDI:
Signal buddy for attention
Confirm left post open at the valve
shut down right post
breath down right post
switch to left post clear and breath
clip off right post
open right post
close left post
breath left post down
unclip right post
clear and breath on right post
open left post
close center post
open center post
This is not correct sequence:
- center post close/open goes after open right post
- unclip right second stage goes before close left post
- after unclip right goes purge right

MonkSeal:
This is not correct sequence:
- center post close/open goes after open right post
- unclip right second stage goes before close left post
- after unclip right goes purge right

Yeah I was wondering about that. I was taught from a non GUE source to definitely unclip your right post reg before shutting down your left. Kinda makes sense too. I'm not really a fan of having to unclip my only breathing source to get air, espeacilly when wearing drygloves.

lakewinni:
Yeah I was wondering about that. I was taught from a non GUE source to definitely unclip your right post reg before shutting down your left. Kinda makes sense too. I'm not really a fan of having to unclip my only breathing source to get air, espeacilly when wearing drygloves.

I don't wear drygloves,so I can't really appreciate that challenge. My instructor said is was my option, i.e. either unclip the primary prior to shutting down the left post, or unclip after.

I think it's a function of how reliably one clips and unclips.

I can breathe from my primary even when it's clipped, so it's not a big deal either way.

Tobin

lakewinni:
You should be able to breathe off your primary just fine even when clipped.

Unclip primary before closing down the left post was the way my instructor demonstrated.

The other way works, but unclipping first is much smoother and shows you were thinking ahead in the drill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom