proper valve drill for GUE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lakewinni

Reaction score
Hey, I'm going to hopefully be taking fundies in the coming months and I'm curious about the valve drill that they have you do in doubles. The only formal training that I have in regards to a valve drill was by NSS-CDS during my cave training. Does gue do the same thing? Shut down right post, breathe it down, switch to backup, open right post, isloate, open isloater, shut down left post, breathe it down, switch to primary, open left post... done? Thats generally what I do. But is that any different from GUE training?

Thanks

Pretty much, yes. People will have some things to add, like purging your backup before beginning the drill so that you know it is working, etc. But without going into minute detail, that is pretty much it.

lakewinni:
Hey, I'm going to hopefully be taking fundies in the coming months and I'm curious about the valve drill that they have you do in doubles. The only formal training that I have in regards to a valve drill was by NSS-CDS during my cave training. Does gue do the same thing? Shut down right post, breathe it down, switch to backup, open right post, isloate, open isloater, shut down left post, breathe it down, switch to primary, open left post... done? Thats generally what I do. But is that any different from GUE training?

Thanks

That's basically the same.

What I was taught:

Signal team you are going do a valve drill

Test purge BU reg

Turn off right post, breathe down primary

Clip off primary / switch to BU reg

Turn on primary

Turn off Isolator / Turn on Iso

Test purge primary

Turn off Left post, breathe down BU reg

Switch to primary

Turn on left post

Flow check all valves

Tobin

Also, constantly signal "attention" with your light. Steady light motion helps your buddy know that you aren't having any problems or difficulty.

Don't forget to maintain the steady movement when you put your light in temporary hold in your right hand.

PfcAJ:
Also, constantly signal "attention" with your light. Steady light motion helps your buddy know that you aren't having any problems or difficulty.
They do that for Cave 1, but for Fundi's I don't think they require that. It a) might be instructor preference or b) new standards from splitting into a rec and tec DIR-F

JeffG:
They do that for Cave 1, but for Fundi's I don't think they require that. It a) might be instructor preference or b) new standards from splitting into a rec and tec DIR-F

When I took fundies, if you had a can light your wore it, but wern't required to use it to signal during a valve drill.

That was before the current rewrite.

Tobin

That's pretty much it.. be sure to check the regulator you're about to switch to before you turn off the post you're breathing. For instance, start with checking the backup, then shut down right post, breathe it down, switch to backup. At the end, check your primary before shutting down the left post, and check your backup after you turn the left post back on.

Of course in fundies you will go through the procedure a few times on land before doing it in the water.

PfcAJ:

Don't forget to maintain the steady movement when you put your light in temporary hold in your right hand.

The attention signal is usually done when you need to get your buddy's attention, hence the name of the signal. So DIR teaches to use the "attention signal" to denote that you are okay (when there is a separate signal that means okay). I know you didn't use the word okay, but if "you aren't having any problems or difficulty", then you are okay.

I could see them wanting you to signal your buddy "attention, I have an issue with my valves" and then you go about your business and take care of the problem. But I find it odd that you have to keep on signaling "attention". Especially if your buddy is looking right at you giving you his attention.

You can tell alot about a diver by his light motions.

Steady, non-erratic motions indicate a calm diver in control. If his light stops, jerks, or does somehting else besides move side to side at a steady rhythm, it can help to indicate that he heeds assistance or is having issues.

For instance, you shut down the right post, but for whatever reason, you forgot to re-open the left post or unclip your reg, whatever. You will quickly go from steady motion to "OMG I need help! I cant breath!!" motion. Its all about safety and communication between the divers.

Understand, but using an 'attention' signal to signal 'okay' doesn't make sense.

It was my understanding that the reason behind signaling 'attention' when doing a valve drill is because you are simulating a valve failure and you want to signal that info to your team....attention, I have a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom