Proper sling of stage/deco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Intrepid:
You'll find the 13 is too short to sling,

I found a 13 to sling with no problem. It also packs in a suitcase and travels well. You don't have a lot of gas, but enough to safely abort a dive with a direct trip to the surface.

I had been told that a 13 is sorta hard to sling as well. I will probably sling this 19. Ha, Ha, I know it is left field, my most immediate reason for slinging this bottle is for an emergency air supply for a vintage diving trip. I also asked the question because I want to sling it correctly Hogarthian style as well. Why do I need it for vintage, well, given my solo diving and vintage diving I have come to like having two regulators when I get deep such as below approx 60 feet. It isn't a lack of trust in my vintage gear, it is a lack of trust in the other guys gear, vintage or not. Then, like I said, I want to sling it correctly for other diving as well, when I feel I need it. Does anyone have a pic of a bottle with the regulaotr attached and squared away? Thanks. N

awap:
I found a 13 to sling with no problem. It also packs in a suitcase and travels well. You don't have a lot of gas, but enough to safely abort a dive with a direct trip to the surface.
I stand corrected! Clearly a 13 can be slung! Using this definition I suspect a 6 cu ft tank could also be slung (but the boltsnaps might extend a bit beyond both ends of the tank). :D How long is your regulator hose, awap? Do you run it around the back of your neck and into your mouth, or up from the front?

You're probably not using it as a stage or a deco bottle, but more as a bail-out bottle - given the amount of gas it provides, no?

Nemrod, here is a photo of a bottle before and after the regs are mounted, together with a reasonably clear drawing of how to run the rigging:
http://www.bentleytech.com/cave/stage/

The small boltsnap directly adjacent to your second stage is often snapped to the shank shackle of the upper boltsnap (e.g. closer to the neck) on the bottle. Obviously, the larger the sling bottle the more latitude you have with respect to where you secure the second stage. Hope this helps.

Best of luck no matter which bottles you sling :)

Doc

Doc Intrepid:
I stand corrected! Clearly a 13 can be slung! Using this definition I suspect a 6 cu ft tank could also be slung (but the boltsnaps might extend a bit beyond both ends of the tank). :D How long is your regulator hose, awap? Do you run it around the back of your neck and into your mouth, or up from the front?

Doc

I think you could sling a spare air with a long enough leader on the bottom bolt snap.... :) In fact, someone should do this and take a picture of it for a joke....

Do you really find a 40" hose long enough? Everyone I know who routes them behind the head uses 47's and the odd one even a 60. Just curious.

R..

Doc Intrepid:
I How long is your regulator hose, awap? Do you run it around the back of your neck and into your mouth, or up from the front?

You're probably not using it as a stage or a deco bottle, but more as a bail-out bottle - given the amount of gas it provides, no?

Doc

Yes, I only use it as a bail-out bottle. Reg is on a 29" hose that stores up & down the sides of the tank held by inner tubre. With the reg deployed, the hose loops across the front of my body comfortably. I considered going with a much shorter hose and reversing the connection (R380) but couldn't really see any benefit.

OK, I made this sling this afternoon using instructions derived here and also BTW Doc I did order the kit you recommended. I had all of these materials lying around. Of course my Pinneralo no longer has a spare tube---lol. So--what do you think? This is a 19cf, the new bottle I got. Oh, that surgical band is not permenant, I need to find a suitable tube for that purpose of holding the regulator. I got to rig a regulator now. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom