Proper procedure for anti-fogging liquid application

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterw

Reaction score
I just bought a new water proof case (WP-DC600) for my Canon PowerShot S230 and it came with anti-fogging liquid but no instruction on how to use it. I searched this forum looking for the answer to my question before writing this post and found some other tips like using silica gel packs but couldn't find the answer to my question below.

Lacking any instruction on how to use the liquid I applied a couple drops to the inside of the lens then wiped dry with a clean soft lint free cloth. Later that day I went diving and when I got down to around 50 feet and tried to take a picture I noticed that the inside of the lens was covered with fog.

Is the proper application of the anti-fogging liquid as I stated above? What do you use to remove the excess anti-fogging liquid?

I have an Oly, not a Canon, so I don't have an answer for you. But I've wondered about using the anti-fog because of the moisture.

I am assuming that the lens fogs for the same reason a mask fogs...moisture inside being warmed. Most, if not all, defog is simply a soap that prevents the surface tension of water droplets to adhere to the glass of your mask/housing. Just because you can't see the fog, doesn't mean there isn't any moisture. Where does it go? Your camera. Maybe its miniscule amounts, maybe it's enough to collect a few drops in the bottom of the housing, either way it can't be good for the camera. Seems like the defog is just a treatment for a symptom, not a cure for the problem.

Just a few pennies worth of thoughts.....

I have a similar setup. Canon S300 & housing.

I find if you load the camera when/where it is humid, it will fog. So try to avoid that.

Don't let it set out in the sun & warm up.

Keep the camera cool & covered.

Make sure the inside glass is REALLY clean before you put on the de-fog. You are applying it right.

This should get you through. I rarely fog up.

I have a Canon S40 with a WPDC300 housing. I did the same as you and put the antifog solution on, wiped it dry and everything fogged anyway! Worse, the antifog left a soap film that slightly decreased the resolution of the images. So I think that the antifog should be kept wet on the inner aspect of the lens port, same as you would with your mask. (I never tried this as I was afraid of an errant drop of moisture going into the camera itself. )

I agree with Dee that the best solution is to avoid the antifog solution altogether. Clean off any antifog solution left on the lens port, and use a silica gel pack in the case. I use 3gm "pillowpacks" (www.desiccare.com). They fit into my S40 housing, and my wifes S400 housing. With the silica gel packs I have no problem with fogging.

I didn't mention it in my first post but after appling the anti-fogging liquid and wiping off my lens it seemed dirty from the liquid. I sat there looking at the lens wishing I had never applied the anti-fogging liquid.

Thanks for the info and site about the silica gel packs, I'm interested in u/w photography and this seems like a great idea.

TRIG
:)

Experimenting I just applied some of the anti-fogging liquid then smelled my finger and noticed that there seems to be some alcohol in the liquid.

Anyway I applied the liquid to the lens then rinced with a little water then wiped clean with a small lint free towel I got with a pair of high end sun glasses. The lens appears to be very clean. I have the case sitting open so that any humidity from rincing the lens will go away. When I dive tomorrow I will include in the camera case a desiccare pillowpak that I found in a bottle of vitamins. I ordered a shipment of pillowpaks but until they get here I'm stuck with a recycled pillowpak from a bottle of vitamins.

I'll post when I get back to let you all know how this procedure worked.

I've never used anti-fooging on my PT-015 and it has never needed it. I have heard over the last year or so of Canon housings fogging. I think its because of more heat generated by the camera inside the housing. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the Olympus housings.
TedJ

peterw I have an Oly housing and quickly solved that problem with re-chargeable desiccant in a cut off piece of a nylon stocking. You have control over the amount to use. If there is more heat from the Canon camera then you can possibly use more than one section of stocinkg in several places in the housing. I have never had a fogging problem again. The desiccant is easy to recharge in the toaster oven. My PT-010 site shows this and where to order it under category #1. One of the most important things about a digital camera is to not expose it to the heat then place it in cooler water which creates condensation. I keep my camera/housing in a soft beverage cooler to insulate it.

The extra absorbant mini pads and panty liners work very well. They can be cut into custom sizes to fit your particular housing and has the added benefit of absorbing any moisture that may collect as a result of fog or even a small leak. I keep one in my camera bag to help offset the humidity here.

Of course this may not be the preferred method but in a pinch, it works great. Beast now carries an Always™ mini-pad in his camera bag! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom