Proper O-Ring care

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keith.M

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I have had my DC 1400 for a couple of years now.

I am looking to make sure I am doing right by the o-ring.

After use, I give the housing a good soak while closed, manipulating all the buttons and the zoom.

After that, I open the case and store it open but don't remove the o-ring.

Before I dive with it I give the o-ring a good inspection and remove any dust particles or debris that may be on the o-ring.

So far no issues.

Do others remove the o-ring?

How often should the o-ring be replaced?

Should I be storing it with the case open like I do?

Any feedback on what others do is appreciated.

I don't have the sealife, but for me on o-ring care.

I do the usual soaking in the camera tank after a dive. At last dive, also press each button a few times.

After coming back from trip, I will soak the housing for a day or two, putting weights in there instead of the camera.

I will take the o-rings off and store it in the housing and close the housing. Camera goes somewhere else.

When putting o-ring back, open the housing in a cool AC'd room, prefereably with minimal dust stirred up, wash it with mild soap, usually hang it on the faucet head and let it air dry, get a lint free tissue and clean the o-ring tracks. lightly grease the o-rings, inspect the o-ring under bright light to make sure there is no lint on it, place o-rings onto the track, place camera/moisture muncher in and close the housing.

o-ring should be replaced if it is stretched.

I was with you right up to the greasing of the o-ring.

I thought these o-rings were not to be lubricated.

I have a DC-800 and the manual says NOT to grease the O-ring. The DC-1400 might be different, IDK.

I have had mine for 5 years and only replaced the O-ring once. I store it with the case open and the O-ring in place. I didn't replace the O-ring for any particular reason, I did it just because I figured after a couple of years it was good insurance.

Yes, I have never greased my o-ring because it said not to.

I basically soak the case for a day, then when dry I open it up and hang it with other gear from the bolt snap I have attached with the o-ring in place. When ready for a new dive, I inspect the exposed part of the o-ring for any dust, hair or nicks anad wipe off if needed.

So far so good...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom