Proper DIR techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron,

I recently completed DIR-F and GUE Tech I. When I was considering tech training and agencies, I did alot of research and reading on and off the internet.

thedecostop.com was very helpful. It is a website for tech divers and many there are DIR divers. Be warned though that many are NOT and there is alot of controversy, politics and BS that goes on between the two groups. Also be advised that some who think they are experts or try to pass themselves off as such are not really. Check out profiles when deciding if someone is for real or not. Do searches on subjects you want to learn about before asking the same questions others have asked many times before.

GUE does not have alot of well written text material. (Hopefully they are working on that) But I have heard that Dress for Success is a very good book for someone interested in DIR.

The GUE website is also helpful but not great.

The best advice I can give you is to find a good mentor in your area, who is an experienced DIR diver, to help. Make friends with someone who has been there, done that and dive with him and ask questions. Then TAKE THE CLASS. Don't wait do it now. I have been diving for 30 years and had alot of bad habits to unlearn. The class was an eye opener for me and changed the way I dive for the better, for ever. I wish I had taken it years ago.

Good luck, have fun! :wink:

WreckHunter:
Check out profiles when deciding if someone is for real or not.

:rofl:

Vie:

Vie,
Why so funny? I didn't say it was the ONLY way to determine if someone is for real or not but it can be helpful assuming the profile is honest and up to date. By reading your profile for example I can tell that you have been diving all of 5 years and have no certifications listed above Nitrox and Dolphin rebreather. So, if you were to start giving advice on advanced deco procedures, stage diving, trimix etc, I would consider the source. People on the internet are often quick to voice their opinion or give advice. Sometimes they do not have the experience or the training to really know what they are talikng about. Looking at someones profile is ONE way to get an IDEA whether they really have a clue or not. So ROFL all you want. :D

MonkSeal:
And sometimes it's the most funniest part of GUE class.
it's the most funniest part because the actors are the most funniest and goofiest.
But.. the best teaching tool I've seen in a while. :)

WreckHunter:
Vie,
Why so funny? I didn't say it was the ONLY way to determine if someone is for real or not but it can be helpful assuming the profile is honest and up to date. By reading your profile for example I can tell that you have been diving all of 5 years and have no certifications listed above Nitrox and Dolphin rebreather. So, if you were to start giving advice on advanced deco procedures, stage diving, trimix etc, I would consider the source. People on the internet are often quick to voice their opinion or give advice. Sometimes they do not have the experience or the training to really know what they are talikng about. Looking at someones profile is ONE way to get an IDEA whether they really have a clue or not. So ROFL all you want. :D

Sorry for the late reply, just got back from a short diving trip. Anyway, no need to get all defensive—I just thought it a little naive to assume that a profile is “honest and up to date.” I’ll shut up now and bow to your superior (30+ years, mostly Florida) experience. :D

pipedope:
I suggest that while some of this is always the case, if it is a big difference on more than half the students the fault is in the writing.
Technical writing is a specialized field that has lots of tricks and traps that are not obvious to those who have not done it.
The worst computer books are written by computer geeks, engineers write awfull engineering books and generally divers write so-so to worthless diving books.
So, what you are saying is that there needs to be a "DIR For Dummies" book just to
cater to the LCD factor?

I'm sorry, but I thought that the first Fundy book covered that potential market. Lord knows it's been presented to some really thick headed dummies in the past with general success... ;-).

10404_872_3.jpg

MaxBottomtime:
Ah ... a new Fundies manual ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Ah ... a new Fundies manual ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Is it made by Halcyon?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom