Pronunciation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After hearing a few different people pronounce dive company names a few different ways, I have a few different questions for a few different SBers to give a few different answers to. (whew)

Mares. Is it 'marez' or 'mareus'?
Halcyon. Is it 'halcon' or 'halseeon'?

Any others that have non-commonsense pronunciations that I'm probably making a fool of my self with by saying it wrong?

I always thought Mares was pronounced 'mar-ay', like the Spanish pronunciation.

Suunto always looks funny to me. I'm pretty sure it's pronounced 'soon-toe', even though in my head, I think 'sun-toe.'

I've always heard them as Mar-eez and Hal-see-on.

teknitroxdiver:
After hearing a few different people pronounce dive company names a few different ways, I have a few different questions for a few different SBers to give a few different answers to. (whew)

Mares. Is it 'marez' or 'mareus'?
Halcyon. Is it 'halcon' or 'halseeon'?

Any others that have non-commonsense pronunciations that I'm probably making a fool of my self with by saying it wrong?

Both of those are real words in English, so I figured they were pronounced in the exact same way:

Mares = like female horses = rhymes with hairs BUT they are an Italian company. Mare means "sea" in Italian but I'm not sure how it's pronounced.

Halcyon = means tranquil or prosperou = sounds like Hal-see-on like your second suggestion

Oh, and it's Apeks not Apex! That one bugs me almost as much as the your/you're crap.

Mares is Italian so should be pronounced "mar-rez.”

Halcyon is an English word and is pronounced “hal-see-on.”

Kriterian:
Both of those are real words in English, so I figured they were pronounced in the exact same way:

Mares = like female horses = rhymes with hairs BUT they are an Italian company. Mare means "sea" in Italian but I'm not sure how it's pronounced.

Halcyon = means tranquil or prosperou = sounds like Hal-see-on like your second suggestion

Oh, and it's Apeks not Apex! That one bugs me almost as much as the your/you're crap.
Mareez and Hal-see-on are the local pronunciations I hear.

However it is pretty much irrellevent which pronunciation you use for either word as underwater when yelled through a regulator, they sound exactly the same.

In fact, Mares and Halcycon sound almost identical as well - "maggabugga" vs. "huggabugga".

As far as the Apexs/Apeks thing I feel your pain as people are always incorrectly breaking Scubapro into Scuba Pro. Of course it is hard to blame them given that "scuba" and "pro" are more separate and distinct words used in common English.

But then from that same perspective, if Apeks is going to spell their own name wrong they also should not be upset when people correct it for them given that "apex" is a real English word and "apeks" is not. :crafty:

DA Aquamaster:
if Apeks is going to spell their own name wrong they also should not be upset when people correct it for them given that "apex" is a real English word and "apeks" is not. :crafty:

When Kenneth Smith Ainscough and Eric Partington founded Apeks Marine Equipment Limited, they came up with the name by taking and combining the first letter of their own names; Ainscough, Partington, Eric, Kenneth and Smith.

And I have heard TUSA as t-you-sa, that is the T sound, a long U and the SA sound.

Also Mares as Marezz

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom