prolonged dizziness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crystal

Reaction score
Hi,

Does ear damage occur even if I had no pain during the dive?
Can I cause problems by equalizing
too often?

I dove 2 weeks ago and have a light dizzy, lightheaded feeling since.

Fortunately, its not extremely bad, so
I can still do my everyday tasks, but it has been going on for almost 2 weeks.

Crystal

Hi Crystal,

While many ear injuries do manifest pain, yes, the ear can be damaged without the experience of pain.

No, equalization cannot occur too often. It can, however, occur too roughly.

A constant "light dizzy, lightheaded feeling" lasting 2 weeks since the last dive is not normal. It warrants medical attention.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

I agree with DocVikingo - this is too long for you to continue to have this symptom, even if not associated with loss of hearing or tinnitus (ringing). This would suggest inner ear problems, although we have no history of your dive profiles.

Equalizing too vigorously (Valsalva) can cause inner ear damage and perilymph fistula due to blow out of the round and or oval windows. This usually is associated with deafness and ringing.

Inner ear DCS is also a cause of dizziness - but again we don't have a history that would point toward this situation. A good ENT survey is suggested.

Hi Crystal,
I've had a similar problem since my last dive. Was light-headedness your only symptom? I'm also experiencing sinus headaches and one of my ears is plugged (no loss of hearing). First I thought I had water in my ear, but maybe it's just allergies.I've tried water drying drops in my ears and ear wax removal drops and problem is still there. All I know is that I need it to go away so that I could continue with my OW classes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bunny

Hope you are feeling better.
Mine is a very very long story - and I ended up
seeing several docs.
However, I am fine now.

I only had lightheadedness. Not of the other symptoms as u described.

My problem was: I got injured pretty badly (severe
bruise on abdomen) several days before my dive.
And went on a difficult dive. (Not smart...)
So being in bad physical condition effected the
balancing organs in my ears -
that's what the doc told me.
Lightheadedness turned into vertigo, and lasted
for a month.
The only thing I could do was to take a rest and
not engage in physically demanding activities.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Hello all I am new to this forum as of today, but I have been diving for over 20 years.

Hope all is well with Crystal and Bunny. Docs and anyone else "educational" replies would be appreciated!

I was diving approximately 30 days ago at Doctors Cove (Emerald Bay Boy Scout Camp) on Catalina [fyi visibilty 10-15, water temp 71]. I was diving to ~ 40' and after my 3rd dive and last dive over 2 days I could not get my right ear to clear, left ear is/was fine. No pain or dizzyness, it just felt as if there was water or wax clogging in the ear. Nothing really unusual as I have had same symptoms with swimmers ear in the past and they usually cleared up in a week or so.

Symptoms were and are some feeling of pressure in the ear, ringing, mild irratation, and impaired hearing (in right ear only), no pain.

I went to an Urgent Care Doctor (of course my regular Doctor was on vacation) about 7 days after my normal home remedies for wax/water/outer ear irratation did not clear the symptoms (alcohol, acetic acid, OTC wax remover) as I was flying out of town on business. We went over symptoms including my diving, I specifically noted that the symptoms occurred after SCUBA diving. They advised that I had a clog in my estachion tube, and perscribed over the counter anti-hystamines and Aleave. They advised that it would take some time to clear.

During the time since my first Doctors visit I have done several "pressure causing" activities (flying, mountains, snorkeling) and had no trouble equalizing and no pain, only the persistant "clog", annoying but not painful.

After 3 weeks of the OTC treatment recommended and no change I went to an Ear/Nose/Throat Doctor today. The Doctor advised that I probably have a PERILYMPH FISTULA. Symptoms are consistant and hearing is ~ 30% in my right ear compared to my left ear. A real bummer! I am now on a Prednisone 40mg treatment for 7 days and then reducing after down after that. He indicated that hearing return was 50/50. I follow up with him in 14 days.

Questions:
1) Is this consistent with anyone else symptoms and/or experiences?
2) Is anyone aware of other treatments or suggestions to explore?
3) Any experience direct, anectodatal or other about future diving experience?
4) Anyone have any suggestions about questions I should ask or points to consider?
5) Sources of information on this subject would be much appreciated

Any help information is much appreciated. I went from mildly annoyed to very concerned today.

Thanks

Darrell

Back
Top Bottom