Info Project Baseline lands in the Midwest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MWUE

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Over the summer Midwest Underwater Explorers deployed the first of many Project Baseline stations in Southern Lake Michigan. The project seeks to track changes in environmental conditions in the lake, and serves as a point of engagement on Great Lakes environmental issues for all divers. We're keen to share our efforts both so local divers know how they can get involved, but also so that other groups thinking of undertaking projects in their area can take inspiration, best practices, and learnings from our effort.

What is Project Baseline?
Science strives to define an objective starting point - a baseline in which starting conditions such as water quality, water clarity, fish counts, living reef coverage, etc are compared to evolving conditions. Environmental declines can then be quantified and appropriate corrective actions developed. This comparative process is compromised when the measure of decline stems from nonexistent or poorly defined historical conditions. In this case, the baseline continually “shifts” downward as people with a different historical memory are outnumbered by newcomers – we refer to this phenomenon as Baseline Shift.

Baseline Shift is a significant force for environmental degradation because it shrouds problems from the light of public recognition. Establishing a global library of baseline measurements is one of the most important things we can do to protect our cherished natural environments – this effort is called Project Baseline.

Project Baseline Midwest
Project Baseline Midwest seeks to deploy a network of water monitoring stations in Lake Michigan, enabling data collection and community engagement. Officially launched during the summer of 2024, the project is testing station design in an iterative approach with plans to deploy 10+ stations in 2025.

The stations include temperature data loggers as well as instrumentation to enable citizen science data collection and engagement with any diver visiting the stations. An instruction sheet with QR codes to submit data is available on the boat that commonly visits the wrecks the stations are being placed next to.
1727452418994.jpeg

Permits, Funding & Insurance
Working in Federal waters requires us to obtain permits, and siting the stations near wrecks additionally requires consent from the State Historic Preservation Office. As a volunteer organization, there was a learning curve as we sought out the correct offices to contact and permit processes to follow. The US Army Corps of Engineers Chicago Division office were great at guiding us through the process. Scientific devices are able to be authorized under a Nationwide Permit, which helps expedite things, but each station we deploy must apply for and receive separate authorization under the permit. Thanks to work done by the Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago, we often have good quality drawings and historical information about the wrecks that we can leverage in our permit applications. These prove essential in communicating our plans to the various parties whose approval we need.
1727452080834.png

In addition to the permitting requirements, our organization also undertook the effort of becoming a 501(c)(3) non-profit and obtaining liability insurance. This helps us to raise funds to offset the materials cost for the stations ($3-400 each in their current form) while also providing protection in the unlikely event of an issue.

Data Loggers and Data Publishing
Making the data collected widely available is key to the success of the project. MWUE will be publishing the data logger data sets to a number of scientific data aggregators as well as the Project Baseline database. The data loggers are set to record at 15 min intervals with the following parameters:
Range: -20° to 50°C in water​

Accuracy: ±0.5°C from -20° to 70°C​

Resolution: 0.04°C​

Drift: <0.1°C per year​

The data comes in a simple CSV format that we can export from the loggers - we expect this data to be married up to other data sets when being leveraged by researchers who access it via the aggregators.
1727457675274.png
1727457647627.png

We'll update this thread overtime as we get more stations installed. We're optimistic that out station will last through the winter storms. Several years ago current data loggers were deployed in the southern end of Lake Michigan. When the team went back to retrieve them in the spring, only one was still there, and the data was at times off the scale! So we're taking an iterative approach to the design, refining based on the experience installing, and ensuring we're not going to lose expensive data loggers.

Happy to answer any questions, either here on Scubaboard or via email!

I really need to get my butt in gear and get certified so I can join the PB team and contribute.

This looks very interesting! I'd be curious to see the design of the data loggers - would be interested in deploying something similar on some of our sites locally.

Also curious if you have documentation for taking horizontal visibility measurements using a Secchi disk and artificial light. When I've tried using one in our murky PNW waters, I've found that it's impossible to take consistent measurements without the amount of natural light playing a huge factor.

This looks very interesting! I'd be curious to see the design of the data loggers - would be interested in deploying something similar on some of our sites locally.

Also curious if you have documentation for taking horizontal visibility measurements using a Secchi disk and artificial light. When I've tried using one in our murky PNW waters, I've found that it's impossible to take consistent measurements without the amount of natural light playing a huge factor.
We're using an off the shelf data logger from Onset Computer's HOBO Pendant lineup. These loggers have a few features that make them great for the work we're doing:
  1. Bluetooth connectivity - no special cables to buy or keep track of
  2. Free multi-platform software - The HOBO Connect App is available on Android, iOS, and Windows and is available free, with ongoing software support/development. Initially I evaluated using the Reefnet loggers but found software support on modern OS lacking. Additionally as this is a free software, we don't have to worry about having a specific person/device out on the boat to pull the data. Anyone from the project team can download it on their phone.
  3. Cost - This is obviously a huge factor, by keeping costs down we can deploy more of these loggers.
  4. Form Factor - The loggers themselves are tiny. This minimizes the deployment footprint and the mounting brackets can be zip-tied (plastic or stainless) to wherever we're wanting to mount them. In the picture below, the MWUE sticker is 3"x4" for scale
1727471614644.png

We tested the deployment of their cheapest loggers ($75) this past year with success and now have just shy of half a dozen deployed - including redeploying the original test logger with the original battery to learn just how long we can really expect these loggers to run without intervention. The MX2201 logger (Blue colored one in photo above) uses a CR2032 battery that can easily be replaced in the field. These have a depth limit of 30M/100'.

For deeper wreck locations we're now testing the more robust MX2203 loggers (Yellow) which are good to 120M/400'. Annoyingly, these use CR2477 batteries, so I need to add a pack of those to my kit for next year before I forget they don't all use CR2032. Thankfully, these are still user replaceable batteries. These loggers are 2x the price of the MX2201 loggers though, so as much as I'd love to only have one model in the field, we're going to match loggers to the depth required.

Regarding the Secchi Disc, I have no doubt that we'll see similar issues, at this point we're very much still learning. Southern Lake Michigan's turbidity is majorly impacted by weather events. Further north, visibility seem to be more seasonal/climate/temp related as opposed to "which way did the wind blow." I guess that's being at the end of the lake for you...

In the future, we hope to add additional data loggers capturing other parameters beyond temperature. Adding loggers for conductivity, PH, dissolved oxygen or current could be in the picture provided we can secure funding. Right now we're 100% funded by member donations, but have plans to solicit funding in the future.

I really need to get my butt in gear and get certified so I can join the PB team and contribute.
Project Baseline initiatives don't necessarily require any specialized training, and many are setup to enable recording of data by anyone visiting the site. In some cases it's as simple as taking a photo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom