Project Argonaut, totally new, vintage style DH regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... Then I met Luis and tried a VDH-modifed Aquamaster with a Phoenix nozzle. I loved it, bought two of them, and dove them for several years. I did a video about it here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsWb9UaRQKw I switched to the Argonaut when it became available and I think it's simply the finest regulator for underwater photography that has ever been made...

Fishbird,

Does either of your Phoenix Royal Aquamasters need a new home? PM me.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Fishbird, Does either of your Phoenix Royal Aquamasters need a new home? PM me.

Never mind, Fishbird. I just made a deal with a fellow SB-er to purchase his DA Aqua Master, after a couple of extremely informative e-mail exchanges with both him and Bryan at VDH. Hmmm, let's see: "Happy rabbit," not "droopy donkey," correct?

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

You will not get my pair of original issue personalized serial number Argonaut Krakens nor my original issue personalized serial number Phoenix but except by prying then from my cold, dead fangles. Not going to happen. However, I have flipped common DH regulators. N

Just to make it clear - I sold rx7diver my PRAM since I just got a Kraken. There has been an ongoing situation with my wife about my diving the PRAM, since she has not been able to comprehend that only the cans are old - she did not want to be my buddy is I was going to dive "50 year old gear" that was going to fail and leave her to rescue my sorry butt. :D

With the advent of the Kraken, she is fine with my diving a new double hose reg. So I get to put the bubbles behind me (and stop them from scaring my photo subjects). As much as I hated to part with my PRAM, it seemed silly to just let it sit around until she sold it for $100 after my funeral when there was someone out there who would use it and enjoy it. She still has to sell my Mistral, my DA and my RAM - but since those are part of my "man cave", they are going no where.

I hope that rx7diver will enjoy joining the double hose club - welcome to your newest addiction/obsession. :D:D

I'm really looking forward to receiving your Phoenix DA Aqua Master (PRAM), TN Traveler. Truthfully, this is probably my last regulator purchase—ever (unless the siren call of the Kraken wins out after all)—and is probably way overdue.

My open water course (in 1986) used Scubapro Mk 5's and Mk 10's, and single- and two-stage double hose regs, for pool skills. I can't wait to dive again a double-hose reg, and to finally dive a double-hose reg in open water.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Last edited:
Yeah, I have that affliction where it's hard to part with stuff I really ought to sell because I don't use it much. But I definitely can't sell my Aquamasters, they are too awesome.

I'm really looking forward to receiving your Phoenix DA Aqua Master (PRAM), TN Traveler. Truthfully, this is probably my last regulator purchase—ever (unless the siren call of the Kraken wins out after all)—and is probably way overdue.

My open water course (in 1986) used Scubapro Mk 5's and Mk 10's, and single- and two-stage double hose regs, for pool skills. I can't wait to dive again a double-hose reg, and to finally dive a double-hose reg in open water.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

I am sure you have seen/heard it but take the time to learn how to dive a DH reg properly. They are different, be it a 50s Voit or a new Kraken, (most) modern BCs are not well suited for DH use and there is a learning curve to get use to the way they breath and react. Almost everyone I teach how to use a DHs first reaction is "not too sure I like this" but after a while they grow to prefer it, esp if they are photographers or videographers.

The Argonaut Kraken in action

Diving in Eastport Maine with Jonathan Bird
Two weekends ago Christine and I had the pleasure to go diving on Eastport, Maine again. We did some diving with Jonathan Bird (Jonathan Bird's Blue World ) and had a great time.

Eastport has, by far, some of the best diving in Maine, but with over 10 foot tides it also has some of the strongest currents on the eastern US. You can only dive at high or low slack tide. Local knowledge to determine best slack time is particularly important.

This is a beautiful area and it is a neat little town.

Here is a picture that Jonathan took right before Christine and I were going into the water.

Luis_Christine_zpsjulamkmi.jpg

Jonathan got to try one of my prototype DSV mouthpieces with one of my test Argonaut Kraken.

Here a video taken by Jonathan. I am using the other prototype DSV mouthpiece with one of my Argonaut Kraken. I am feeding Gene, one of Jonathan neighbors’ up in Eastport. Gene is a bit shy. I think he really appreciates that I am not blowing bubbles near his face. I actually got him to get fairly close to my face.

[video=vimeo;138426901]https://vimeo.com/138426901[/video]

Here is a special that Jonathan did on Wolf-fish.
Wolffish | Jonathan Bird's Blue World

This past year I have been traveling to the pacific north west and have been able to dive several times in Puget Sound and the san Juan Islands. The Wolf-fish over at there are bigger than over here, but I think ours are more handsome.

Note: I am getting to really like that bright yellow drysuit.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom