Project Argonaut, totally new, vintage style DH regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is called PC Logbook (Version 4.0) for TUSA. It is the old software for my old TUSA IQ-700.
I don’t use that computer anymore (the depth sensor became unreliable). But the dive computer is the same Seiko one that was once offered by many other manufacturers. I use the Zeagle and the IST versions of that same computer now.

I like the software (and it has my dive log data in it for the last 9 years), but it is very dated. The download interface only works with 32 bit machines. Therefore I can only download the data using an old HP notebook that I have. Then I transfer the new downloads to my primary computer. It is cumbersome, but I like the interface and the data display.

My LDS had some pool time yesterday so I took the opportunity to play and adjust the trim weight location on my hose assembly. I should have had a small mirror to see and get immediate feedback on the hose shape and configuration. It was too late when I thought about the mirror, so instead I improvised and used my camera to take selfies and view the configuration.

Below are some of the selfies I took and one picture that John took with my camera. Notice that some weight rings are hanging with a Velcro strap in different spots.

Next Saturday we are doing another pool session. I will have a mirror and should have better feedback.

Here is a picture that I took of John testing his new Voit 50 Fathom (new to him) .

Here is John with his daughter. Obviously this has nothing to do with double hose regulator, but it is nice to see new young divers taking to the water.

Only a couple more days to get in on the DSV advanced order list.
Vintage Double Hose ? View topic - New DSV Mouthpiece Coming soon!

I did some more testing of the DSV on the pool last Saturday. Tonight I will try to post some more pictures of the testing I did. I did side-by-side comparisons of the DSV and the curved mouthpiece (previously my favorite mouthpiece) and a few other tests.

I have also been doing some more testing of the highly enhanced venturi flow in combination with the flow diverter in the DSV. I will provide some pictures and more information later (hopefully tonight). I was doing some extreme testing and for a moment, I thought that I was developing a leaf blower. :shocked2:

:)

Luis,

I noticed in the DSV test pictures that you are using 5 weight rings per hose. Have you tested more and fewer weights, and is 5 per side ideal with the new DSV?

Thinking of putting together a DSV order and would like your input as to hose weights.

I have actually found several very comfortable combinations. As you can see, about 5 weights per side holds the hoses down well.

In the last pool test I was also using a chin pad and that actually made it feel very close to the curve (or the Voit hourglass) mouthpiece feeling. I did side-by-side testing and I was very pleased with the results. I will try to post some pictures later.

At the same time I am fine tuning the enhanced venturi flow to take full advantage of the flow diverter.

You can always add weights if needed and even customize the hose loop if you like, but I hope to have a good general recommendation that will work right out of the box soon.

What I would definitely recommend right now is to go ahead and pre-order your DSV (whether you order weight or not). You will get a better price and help kick-start this phase of the project.

I am looking forward to having some production DSV’s on hand.
Yes, I actually ordered several.

Nice picture.

Here is my dive profile for the wreck dive (in the picture above), the Felipe Xicotenantl C-53.
All my dives were done with the prototype 3D printed mouthpieces.

Here is my dive profile for Devils Throat (La Garganta del Diablo), in Punta Sur.
It worked just as well in 140 ft as it did in 20 ft dives.

What computer are you using, and how did you get those graphics?
I like those.

Didn't see that, thanks.

I am now using a Zeagle N2iTion and a IST GP3000. They are the same as the TUSA IQ-700, all made by Seiko. But they are all discontinued. I really like the computers and the old software.

---------- Post added December 28th, 2015 at 10:02 PM ----------

Over a week ago we had another pool session and I tried a few more things. This time I had a mirror so I could see the hose loop and regulator while I was testing it.

I had three separate kits with different regulators to test side-by-side. One had a traditional curved mouthpiece with a Argonaut well tuned for that hose-loop. The other two had prototypes DSV with flow diverters and the venturi tuned for it.

I also tested less hose weights in different configurations, and this time I added a chin-pad.

The chin-pad worked great. With it I was able to reproduce very close to the same feeling I get with the curved mouthpiece (which is my favorite vintage mouthpiece). Note: both the curved and the Voit hourglass mouthpiece have a similar resting area on my chin when I use either.

Here is reduced weights and the chin-pad:

Here is my comparison reference point, the curved mouthpiece. I went back and forth several times to check many detail of the hose-loop geometry.
Note: the string on the exhaust hose is holding a mouthpiece plug.

Here is the other regulator and hose loop. You may notice the mirror on my hand.

John’s daughter was photo bombing, :)
while I am checking my rig.

In this shot I also tried some weights on the mouthpiece itself. If you look closely, you may see the chin-pad on the bottom back of the mouthpiece.

Here is the prototype chin-pad. I just used some hard foam I have that came with sticky-back tape. It took me a moment to put it together.

The use of the chin-pad goes a long ways toward not needing any hose weights or at least reducing the amount needed. I still like lowering the hose loop, but it may become more of a personal preference.

With the new web site it seems like we lost some stuff.

In post 305 I had a video that I made of the mechanical movements of the Argonaut. I don’t know how it lost its link, but here it is. The text can still be found in post 305.

[video][/video]

This text was also corrupted a bit so here it is again:

The letters and arrows in the video represent key dimensions used in some of the calculations:

• D1 (Delta1) and D2 (Delta2): represent the primary displacements in response to the demand valve diaphragm action.

• L1 and L2: are used to determine the lever mechanical advantage as a function of travel passion.

• S1: the spring compression. It is used to determine spring force (again, for the full range of travel).

• Some of the other variables are used for other calculations.

• The blue arrows represent directional vector forces on the lever (the arrow size does not indicate force magnitude).

Back
Top Bottom