Programs with High Schools?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been contacted, but a guy I used to teach for still does them...I think. I'm glad I have my own business now as I could not stand the standards violations anymore....Like way too many students and little time booked. They were all for Discovers.

Most high schools don't want to pay too much money so it really depends of what you expect to get out of it. You won't be selling gear...:)

Personally,I'd like to give it another try when I have staff to assist me.

Ron

I just did a course for our alternative high school.

They had received a huge amount of funding through a grant to get the kids outdoors. Somehow it was commingled with the Boy Scouts.

To make a very long story short, these kids had no financial commitment to the class and they could really care less. When it started the school had 12 students for me. Then 6, then 4, then 6 and finally 4.

They gave me very little time and only 4 hours in the pool. I changed the class to "Scuba diver" because this wasn't enough. I did 6 hours of lecture (one kid slept the whole day).

When it was all said and done, 2 went to the OW, we did one dive (20 minutes) and the girl left happy. The guy who is going to be a Navy Seal claimed he was freezing and would never get back in the water. (he got out after 10 mins BTW). No certs issues, luckily, I was smart enough to require payment up front.

I won't get caught up in something like this again, at best discover scuba is all I'll offer.

On the other hand, the middle school has a program where the 8th graders are given a year long project where the have to learn a skill that they will/can use later in life. They will allow the kids to do Scuba up to the final pool session. These kids usually refer out from me and finish later but they use my class as the basis of the project. These kids are always a breeze, they want to be there and they are having fun.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom