problems with wildlife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The alligators pretty much just ignore you, while underwater they aren't interested in any kind of attack or even defense moves (they have a secondary eyelid that's closed underwater).
Now on the surface...

Don't worry, you'll be fine. I watched my dive instructor grab an eight footer by the tail and move him out of our way while still on a student dive in Alexander Springs. Though I wouldn't do it just to do it I would have no problem doing the same thing.

I'm really leary of gators...Know of one guy that was diving for golf balls at the Cocoa Beach Country club that had his leg chewed up by a gator. I've been diving in the Indian and Banana Rivers and had them start making moves toward me. My feeling on gators is this...They eat a meal every 2 weeks or so...If they are at the end meal cycle you may din-din for them..I don't trust them...much reather be diving with sharks around

It's important to note while diving with Gators just what size you are dealing with. The smaller gators are easily repelled with pepper spray and just wearing a bell is enough to keep them away. You can identify their presence by their small piles of scat (poop) that are filled with fish bones, shells of small turtles and such. Yes, you have to dig around in it to determine just what's in there!

However, it's VERY important to avoid the larger bull gators at all costs. You can identify their presence also by their scat. Upon examination you will find small bells and it will smell like pepper spray.

Actually, a good blast of air from a regulator will scare most (if not all) gators from the area! :D

Most of the time if you don't bother them they won't bother you. They don't want to mess around with something there size, if not bigger than them. Alligators want a quick, easy meal.

Scat with small bells & smells like pepper spray! I liked that one! :)

:33:

i don't get it

jeditdog:
This questions probably gets asked occasionlaly, but I've just really got to know. Do you guys in Florida ever have a problem diving with Alligators?

It would freak me out!

Actually Alligators make good dive partners other than the fact that they are like photographers, and often doing their own thing..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom