Problems with the Pinnacle 5 mil merino elastiprene?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldschool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm already working on my Santa wishlist. It will be a pretty short list with the main attraction being a new wetsuit. So, instead of asking what everyone thinks is the best wetsuit, I thought I would make it easier and ask if anyone has had any problems or dissapointments with the Pinnacle 5 mil merino elastiprene.

I debated about the elastiprene suit and decided to go with the 3 mil seal suiit. It is a bit harder to get into, but it is a tru 3 mil and it stretches and conforms nicley to my tear drop physique. My decision was based on the elastiprene Harvey's that my wife wears. If it stretches we tend to get a smaller size and the more it stretches the thinner it gets. I'd have probably stretched mine to paper thin and then whines about it not being warm.

I used the 3 mil in Bonaire this sping and with the nice neck seal i was warmer than I ever was in my 5 mil custom made Harvey's. I hate the scoop neck on the Harvey's.

I guess i didn't really answer your question, but several friends have been extremely happy with theirs in 5 mil elastiprene, but I wouldn't give up my 3 mil Seal.

The seal has the merino wool in the body, but not the extremeties.

jim

I have this suit and love it. I do not tend to get cold easily nor do I mind being a bit cold, I started this season at Dutch Springs in May with water temps in the mid to high 40's and I was very comfortable. (Did 6 dives in that suit in two days) The wool dries quick enough, but on repetitive dives I was dumping warm water in the suit before entering the water. Additionally I tried wearing a rash guard underneath the suit and found that it didn't feel the same, I got to a bit colder quicker. I was told afterwards that it is best to have the wool against your skin. For what it is worth I dive mostly fresh water and the majority of my dives are in the Finger Lakes.

If your LDS will let you, you should try and do a "Test" dive in one....

I have the 7 mil and have been very happy with it. Warmer than my Scubapro 7mil steamer. Dries very well overnight, very comfortable and flexible. With the hooded vest underneath it is a very warm suit. I've been diving mine about 8 months and it is holding up very well. Looks almost new.

Interesting you mention Scubapro. It has been a tossup for me between Pinnacle and Scubapro, leaning a bit more towards Pinnacle. Thanks for the info.

I bought one this spring and it is warm and comfortable. My only complaint is it is a bit difficult to to zip up without help. The zipper gets caught in the 10mm spine pad and tears some gouges in it. But I am old with limited flexibility which does not help.

Dont have the elastiprene but I have the 5/4 Fusion with the merino wool. I have been toasty in 56 degree water with a hood and gloves. Only imagine the elastiprene is better.

Interesting you mention Scubapro. It has been a tossup for me between Pinnacle and Scubapro, leaning a bit more towards Pinnacle. Thanks for the info.

The Pinnacle is by far much easier to put on and take off, yet seems to have equal seals at the nech hands & feet. The neck seal takes some getting used to. The ankle zippers are great, unless you have zippers on your boots too.

I have the Kodiak which is an 8/6 suit that is made with merino elastiprene. Try getting fitted. There's a sizing chart and that'll be a good place to start. I can get into my 8/6 I think faster than my 4/3 and maybe even my 3/2. It stretches so much but is very warm. You won;t be disappointed.

I have to agree with the boot hieght problem. The seal at the ankle zipps shut, and is a similar material to a drysuit neoprene seal. I think the idea is to slow down the amount of water flushing through the suit. If you have a high boot and zip it outside of the leg you will wind up with elephant legs. If you try and zip shut the leg over the boot it is not sealing properly and you will exchanging a lot of water during your dive. Thies is something I have noticed. I am looking for better boots to go with my suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom