• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Problems with HOG regs

Discussion in 'Edge Gear' started by billt4sf, Jul 8, 2013.

1. cerich

cerich ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    The yoke knob...it's a PITA... Some are soft material, some not. We stopped shipping many but not all the soft ones. If you don't over tighten you likely wont have a issue. But... still they should have been better made. You can tighten it and see it it "wiggles" if yes, it's bad. Or you can email me or Mike and we'll make sure that new knobs are on the way.

We have seen where some less experienced users will try to dial in the orifice and cut the LP seat making whatever freeflow they had worse...in fact that is kinda too common. While "technically" a user error thing we in fact have designed a new lp seat and orifice to make it less likely to happen. Future service kits will be coming with them so eventually everybody will have the latest and greatest. We really try and integrate any product improvements into the service chain when we can, just seems the right thing to do instead of calling the new improvements a new model and forcing a upgrade or making people feel like they are missing out on the latest and greatest stuff.

---------- Post added July 8th, 2013 at 09:01 PM ----------

I really hope we are always able to keep things personal. It's gotten a little more difficult with our really insane growth the last couple years but I think that is because of the personal touch.

Look forward to your email, it will be late in the afternoon on Tuesday at best before I am in the office and can reply. I have a meeting in another city tomorrow.

---------- Post added July 8th, 2013 at 09:03 PM ----------

Mike at DRIS told me he charged because in his computer system he didn't see where you had actually bought them thru him. I expect he'll be contacting you on that. He ddn't charge labor because he felt he was doing me a favor..which he was.

BVickery and Jax like this.
  2. dumpsterDiver

dumpsterDiver Banned

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    seriously? this is the most basic of tests that every student should be taught... and BTW, Jim forgot the most common failure "sucking" may reveal.. a damaged mouth piece..

also, you don't really try to inhale, you just suck a vacuum with your mouth and lock your throat and the reg should hold the vacuum. A good scuba course will have a damaged regulator, so people can feel what it is like, even try to use it in the water AND learn how to use it (in an emergency) when it is leaking badly...

bj139, rhwestfall and Selchie in LB like this.
  3. billt4sf

billt4sf Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Peter, Any Water Sports pulled the cover and identified that the lever was not in the right position.

The most important thing is that I got a couple mouthfuls of water when I was breathing on it heavily because I was swimming upcurrent to get to a boat line. That is a REALLY bad time to get mouthfuls of water! The dive op showed me that the diaphragm was stuck open, such a simple fix on land, but is the reg (either the reg line or this particular reg) prone to this? That is my biggest concern, not the shipping charges.

- Bill

---------- Post added July 8th, 2013 at 07:08 PM ----------

No sweat I am in Bonaire and don't even know what day it is. And I don't WANNA know!

- Bill

Jax likes this.
  4. cerich

cerich ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Bill, honest, the reg is NOT prone to this. We have sold THOUSANDS of them and dozens of the owners of them are on scubaboard. You would have heard all about it.

The lever...I am gonna question the tech at DRIS and see exactly what he remembers about that. I have seen people "waller" on the locknut and twist the barrel oin the body thinking the nut had to be as tight as their hands will let them do it... when the barrel twists it will mess up the lever feet.

5. Jim Lapenta

Jim Lapenta Dive Shop

Get a group together, fly me down, and we'll work something out. Memorial day is a long weekend. (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) In all seriousness I will be in Orlando in November for DEMA. We could work something out one evening perhaps while I'm there.
    Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

6. Dive Right In Scuba

Dive Right In Scuba ScubaBoard Business Sponsor ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

Thanks for the Email Bill. I responded and now know where the issue came from....Joe, in Reg repairs didn't see a Hog reg purchase in your name, and didn't correlate with Peters Purchase. I looked at the invoice earlier, and the shipping (if I remember) was actually free back to you, and we only charged the parts(lever/LP seat) and a $20 re-tune for the labor. I think the total was like $24...which, as I said in the email, I can get back to you via CC or store credit, whichever you want. It would have been free had he known the purchase was under a different name. No big deal....I explained a little more about everything in the email, and asked a few more questions.

Let me know....BTW, it's weird responding back to you in 2 different places :D

Herb-alaska likes this.
  7. Dr. Lecter

Dr. Lecter Solo Diver

No, it's a piss-poor design error that (while admirably corrected) should never have been a potential tripping hazard for users in the first place. Build it right the first time, or admit you made a mistake by just adopting the generic LP seat/orifice design used in a bunch of other poorly designed regs -- don't blame your customer, who was just trying to correct a totally unrelated assembly error you also made.

8. FloridaPhil

FloridaPhil Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    I'm in!

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk HD

9. Selchie in LB

Selchie in LB DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Hey DumpsterDiver -
    I don't recall getting any of that info in any class I've taken so far. All PADI. I found out through ScubaBoard and talking with other divers. I always breath my regs and check the SPG while doing so to make sure there is no fluctuation as I do so. As for this vacuum test - 1st time. This why I read the board!
    Thanks Jim & others who educate me all the time.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

10. PeterNBiddle

PeterNBiddle Manta Ray

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    The same thing happened to me on my Hog reg. I asked DRIS about this and heard I should bring the reg to an LDS. (BTW I'm a huge DRIS fan. I didn't even remember this until now.)

My email:

"I purchased a HOG reg from you guys to use as my octo and I didn't like it. The purge somehow got stuck open on a dive and I wound up breathing in some water. Can I return it? (The B2 is a replacement for that)."

The answer:

"I apologize, but we are unable to take the Hog Regulator back as it has been too long since you purchased it. I would suggest you take that regulator to your local dive shop to have it adjusted. It will work just fine for you then."

I always purge first and I've never breathed water on my Atomic regs. Never. But the Hog has stuck open more than once.