• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Problems with HOG regs

Discussion in 'Edge Gear' started by billt4sf, Jul 8, 2013.

1. cerich

cerich ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    You followed my thinking. If you figure out it is just the one let me know please, in the mean time I am going to try and rinse a few with a garden hose to see if I can replicate the issue.

2. tracydr

tracydr Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Could you explain how you do your vacuum test?

3. Jim Lapenta

Jim Lapenta Dive Shop

Very simple. Put the reg on a tank with the valve off or cover the DIN inlet with your thumb. On a yoke version reg it's easier to put it on a tank. With the tank off try to take a normal breath off of both seconds. You should not be able to inhale anything. If you can that may be an indication of several things. Simple ones would be a rolled or impeded exhaust diaphragm. I've seen people get sticks, dirt, mud, salt build up, etc. under them.

Next may be a hole or tear in the main diaphragm. Not as likely but possible.

Other item could be a cracked case.

Hoses not tightened will also allow air as will a bad hose oring. Possible but not as likely as first three.

Or the seal at the 1st stage may not be good. If your tank or DIN oring is missing you might be able to get some air. These would be the most common and first places to check. More or less in the order listed.

This is with virtually all regs. Now if you inhale hard enough it is possible to suck that exhaust diaphragm into the case. It's soft silicone and can be done. Takes some doing but it is possible.

4. tracydr

tracydr Divemaster

Thanks, this is absolutely the very first time I've ever heard anybody mention this.

billt4sf and BVickery like this.
  5. Jim Lapenta

Jim Lapenta Dive Shop

You need to take a good equipment course. Not necessarily a service tech course but one that covers all of this which should be basic knowledge for a regular diver and especially a DM. I have an open weekend in August. You can catch a military flight maybe to the 911th in Pittsburgh. Or pull some strings and get me on one to Arizona!

6. DiverAmy

DiverAmy Prism2 CCR Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Jim, when are you coming to Florida to teach us??

Jax likes this.
  7. Jax

Jax Deplorable American ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I've had some issues with my HOG regs. It mostly had to do with the IDtenT's assembly errors.

:)

Dive Right In Scuba likes this.
  8. billt4sf

billt4sf Loggerhead Turtle

Thanks Chris!@ A personal response is more than I expected! I sent you an email.

---------- Post added July 8th, 2013 at 06:47 PM ----------

I got them with both fittings. Actually I just changed to the DIN fittings here in Bonaire and I like them alot better! (Peter are you listening?)

9. Peter_C

Peter_C Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Mike, those regs were purchased through me. It was a group purchase for three sets of regs, and a BP/W, along with a bunch of other stuff to the tune of thousands of dollars. I still have one of the mis-shipped hoses, and really need to send it back and place a new order for gear, since it seems to be a never ending deal with buying new gear.

The majority of the order was shipped from DRIS, and the remainder of the regs were drop shipped from Edge.

When we originally received the regs, testing them on the couch they had no issues. It wasn't until the OP took them to the water that he experienced an issue. On a later excursion we spent a few minutes trying to dial it down, but never pulled the cover to check lever height. I am not sure what the rest of his issues are??

The yoke fitting knob failing is one of concern to me since I have a brand new one in the box for our next warm water trip. How can I tell if it is going to fail, or if it is one of the inferior units. I am not one to over-tighten stuff, so...

10. billt4sf

billt4sf Loggerhead Turtle

I don't care much about the shipping charges. I was very happy that DRIS fixed them quickly and sent them back quickly. I thought that was good customer service on their part. Perhaps I would care more about the shipping charges if I had sent them 2-day air. The technician who fixed them did ask his boss (or someone) about the shipping charges and I was slightly surprised that they decided to charge me, after all we had bought them just a few weeks earler and has yet to get good use out of them. But I was happy that the work was done quickly.