Problems replying to post

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you disabled all of your plugins? (like I said about 10 times)... Did you try another browser?

If it was truly a scubaboard problem, then there would be thousands of posts and posters ending up with issues not 5 or 6 posters ending up with issues.

I'm doing my best to fix your computer problems, but short of you giving me remote access to your machine, you should try your best to at least follow my advice so that I can best duplicate your issue and/or see where the problem actually lies.

Unless you try what I've suggested, I'm through offering suggestions. If you do try to disable plugins (addons) as described in the other post, and this doesn't result positively, then I can offer another suggestion.

Not everyone who is having these problems is bothering to say so.

I am personally just putting up with it because I refuse to change my browser choice for 1 website, and the plugins I have enabled I use - I am not going to reconfigure my browser each time I visit and then leave. So what is the point of complaining if these are the only two solutions offered?

In some cases I retry my posts. In others I copy to notepad before hitting the post reply button so I can recover when it craps out > 75% of the time. In still other cases I just move on and don't bother retrying.

<second attempt to post>

I believe what is happening is that there are some tracking cookies being placed or attempted to be placed specific to what ever advertisement is up at that moment. which may explain the sporadic instances. I had some problems as well which I dealt with (avg) related. and yes I agree that this is probably happening to others.

sent via nookcolor N2A.

Not everyone who is having these problems is bothering to say so.

I am personally just putting up with it because I refuse to change my browser choice for 1 website, and the plugins I have enabled I use - I am not going to reconfigure my browser each time I visit and then leave. So what is the point of complaining if these are the only two solutions offered?

In some cases I retry my posts. In others I copy to notepad before hitting the post reply button so I can recover when it craps out > 75% of the time. In still other cases I just move on and don't bother retrying.

<second attempt to post>

The solutions offered are the only ones, since nobody who has the issues is really helping me pinpoint the issue. I can't fix something if I don't know what's broken. Still right now... I don't know what's wrong... IE9 works fine for me. But, me personally, I remove all of the bloatware on my computer when I get it. I do a fresh install of Windows on a new computer. So for me, the guy trying to figure out what's wrong... I don't HAVE a problem.

I believe what is happening is that there are some tracking cookies being placed or attempted to be placed specific to what ever advertisement is up at that moment. which may explain the sporadic instances. I had some problems as well which I dealt with (avg) related. and yes I agree that this is probably happening to others.

sent via nookcolor N2A.

Possibly then people may be using an AVG toolbar in their browser? I don't know. Only google ads use tracking cookies, as that's how they work. In which case, this "issue" wouldn't happen on ONLY scubaboard, since probably 90% of all of the websites out there use GOOGLE ADS, but then again... People may not POST data anywhere else? I really don't know.

I understand that there MUST be others with this problem, but without the assistance that I've asked for to pinpoint this anomaly, there's NOTHING I CAN DO.

---

I can't just go to the programmers of vBulletin and say, "Some of my users are having an issue where IE9 supposedly locks up for no apparent reason" - This would not get me any support. They would immediately ask that all addons and plugins be disabled, and then enable them one at a time to see which one is causing the problem. THEN a solution can be worked on, once the issue is pinpointed. So really, unless someone posts something useful here, this will be my last post on this topic.

I can't just go to the programmers of vBulletin and say, "Some of my users are having an issue where IE9 supposedly locks up for no apparent reason" - This would not get me any support. They would immediately ask that all addons and plugins be disabled, and then enable them one at a time to see which one is causing the problem. THEN a solution can be worked on, once the issue is pinpointed. So really, unless someone posts something useful here, this will be my last post on this topic.

I understand your position.

I find it unlikely, though, that any user is going to make a bunch of posts just to do a walk through of their plugins. I certainly won't. That's why I had not complained on this issue.

FWIW, if anyone wants to check and see if their plugins are at least up to date, here are two good links:

Firefox Web Browser

https://browsercheck.qualys.com/

I did my routine monthly check tonight and upgraded Silverlight to 5, and Java 6 to update 30.

No difference to this issue.

(2 posts went fine, this is the 3rd try responding to this one)

IE9 works fine for me. But, me personally, I remove all of the bloatware on my computer when I get it. I do a fresh install of Windows on a new computer. So for me, the guy trying to figure out what's wrong... I don't HAVE a problem.

BTW, that is kind of rude and arrogant. I also do a clean install on a new computer. That has nothing to do with this issue. Just because someone else uses software you don't doesn't make it bloatware or imply that they don't know how to configure or maintain their machine.

Just an observation.

BTW, that is kind of rude and arrogant. I also do a clean install on a new computer. That has nothing to do with this issue. Just because someone else uses software you don't doesn't make it bloatware or imply that they don't know how to configure or maintain their machine.

Just an observation.

I think its rude for people to post requests for help, and just whine about it, and then not complete the troubleshooting steps I'm offering as advice. It's not arrogant to ask the people with a problem to offer assistance. Let's be realistic here... I've posted the same thing like 20 times, and yet, nobody seems to want to do that. Everyone wants to try something else, and wow... it's still going nowhere.

I didn't imply that none of these people know how to configure their machines. I'm implying that they have a plugin or addon to IE that they MAY NOT EVEN REALIZE IS THERE (and since I am NOT sitting at their computer, nor do I expect people to send in their computers to me, or give me remote access), and the only way to isolate it is to start by DISABLING ALL PLUGINS. :wink:

If you don't want to help me isolate this browser related issue, then again there's nothing I can do. I've had people essentially complaining of a problem that can't be duplicated and therefore unless I have specific details, I can't fix it.

If you go to the auto mechanic, and say, "my car makes a funny noise. But right now, it's not making that noise... can you fix it?" What do you think they'd say?

I've had less than 10 people report an anomaly with browsers. It's been ongoing for a month. I've posted essentially the same request, to no avail. Don't you think I'm getting frustrated? What would you do? Again... Without anything to go on... There's nothing I can do. I'm not going to request support from vBulletin, when I have nothing to report. So AGAIN... unless someone figures out WHICH PLUGIN IS CAUSING THIS CONFLICT, I can't help.

ALSO - having UP TO DATE plugins is NOT what I'm suggesting. I've said. DISABLE them and re-enable them one by one to see which particular plugin causes the problem.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to help.

Whatever the recent changes that have been made are, I have found that for me, at least, the issue has resolved. Thought you might want to know.

Cheers

The recent changes to ScubaBoard involved only the color scheme and a new header image. There was no change whatsoever to any functionality of the forum.

I'm glad that your problem is fixed though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom