Problems on Hollis sms 75 for Alu Cylinders? Just back from a sidemount class...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also agree best to leave inflator hose at the bottom.
I changed mine over for dry suit course and caught the bungee for the wing under it when I did it up. I didn't full inflate it to test and popped the hose off when I hit the water. Over inflated my dry suit and then couldn't move my arm enough to dump air. Pulled the neck seal and flooded dry suit.

Then spent 3 hours Trying to put the string back in the top tube. Hands still hurt when I think about it.

I believe the rev 2 has addressed these problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very happy with my SMS75... The only little problem I am having sometimes is having a hard time finding the little ball on the left shoulder strap to dump air!

I'm very happy with my SMS75... The only little problem I am having sometimes is having a hard time finding the little ball on the left shoulder strap to dump air!

Mine hides too, and I don't know why. If you find a solution let me know. It drive me nuts

I spent a lot of time working to make my SMS75 ok to dive both kinds of tanks. In the end, I decided I hated the SMS weight plate, mostly because I'm very foot light in my dry suit. Next time, I could try some heavier fins, I suppose, but I'm more likely to get a smaller travel BC (Stealth) for my trips to AL80 land.

Here's the thread at CDF in which a lot of these issues are discussed:
Configuring the SMS75 so to dive steel in FL, and in the DR with AL80s

---------- Post added April 21st, 2015 at 07:54 PM ----------

Mine hides too, and I don't know why. If you find a solution let me know. It drive me nuts

make sure the sting isn't too long. that's important. It should be exactly where you left it - touch it 100 times every time you get ready to start your dive until the muscle memory really sets in.

---------- Post added April 21st, 2015 at 07:56 PM ----------

Not going anywhere:
160b47d62f9d5ebe23a4fc5fe2481b1e.jpg

Thanks Aotus, I will shorten it when I get home tonight. I have left it stock length.

Thanks Aotus, I will shorten it when I get home tonight. I have left it stock length.

you may also find that it pulls smoother if you use some irrigation tubing between the valve and the end of the cord, then replace the black cord with some cave/wreck line (24#). This allows for the line to move smoothly and never catch and bunch up the fabric that it runs through stock.

When I dove backmount last time, it was with a bottom-mounted inflator. You just run a drysuit-length inflator hose, and route it the same as you would a drysuit (but backwards). Route it left, down, under your arm, and into the inflator. No reason to move the OPV.....it's MUCH better up top.

many thanks

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2015 at 02:54 PM ----------

and I have a question, what's your thoughts on a fixed d-ring? some experienced sidemount diver told me to use that. Is there any cons with fixed d-ring?

many thanks

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2015 at 02:54 PM ----------

and I have a question, what's your thoughts on a fixed d-ring? some experienced sidemount diver told me to use that. Is there any cons with fixed d-ring?

If you use the wrong fixed d-rings you can achieve quite a high profile. I use the "bent" d-rings welded "flat", so that they only stick up a little. I refuse to dive without them. It makes cliipping on&off so much easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom