Problem with YS25DX Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decompression

Instructor...seriously...
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
The strobe will only fire on the number 1 (full) power setting (versus 2,3) and on any of the light level controls. Also, the green "ready light" never comes on, just the red charging light. Any ideas?

decompression:
The strobe will only fire on the number 1 (full) power setting (versus 2,3) and on any of the light level controls. Also, the green "ready light" never comes on, just the red charging light. Any ideas?

Three suggestions:

1) Make sure that you have good batteries. When the batteries are low, the charge light may never turn green as the unit is never fully charged.

2) Post this to wetpixel and digideep. Maybe someone over there has experienced this.

3) Call/Email Sea&Sea. Verify that the batteries are good, and if the problem persists, contact Sea&Sea. If this is under warranty, I'd be mailing the product to them as fast as possible as warranty turnaround for most electronic equipment is a month.

Good Luck,

Thanks, fresh batteries are on the list, and I'll try those sites. Funny you mention warranty, because it was purchased when I was working oversea's it has to be shipped back there to remain under warranty.........pretty doubtful that I will ever buy Sea and Sea again.

decompression:
Thanks, fresh batteries are on the list, and I'll try those sites. Funny you mention warranty, because it was purchased when I was working oversea's it has to be shipped back there to remain under warranty.........pretty doubtful that I will ever buy Sea and Sea again.

In the world of camera's this entire grey market/warranty thing is RATHER absurd.

However if you were IN the country where the flash was purchased, you *should* be able to get warranty work anywhere in the world, or that is how SOME of the bigger manufactures work.

So the proof is that you actually purchased the item AT a camera shop vs. mailorder/internet grey.

I really can not say this will apply to your situation, and maybe you have already verified, but if not, it's worth a shot.

Sad isn't it, the local Sea and Sea Head office will not recognise a product that was purchased out of it's area. Very poor customer service for a worldwide company. And as I dive professional I would have hoped for better.

decompression:

If you are using nicad or NIMH batteries, try fresh alkalines. They have higher voltage and should enable the charger to fully charge the strobe flash capacitor. I have had this problem with a regular camera flash and that was the cure.

It was only recently that Sea & Sea certified NIMH batteries and I suspect most of their designs were done with alkaline batteries in mind.

Did you read the instruction manual?

The [OFF, 1, 2, 3] dial is not a flash power level dial. This is a synch pattern adjustment control. Some digital cameras will trigger their flash briefly to provide focusing illumination or red eye reduction. This control tells the strobe to ignore these extraneous flashes. It stands to reason that the strobe will only respond when set to only one of these settings.

To test this for your particular camera: adjust your camera's flash to the desired flash level; point the camera at the YS-25 strobe; take a picture. If the strobe goes off and you record the light pulse, then you have the right synchronization. If you take a picture, the camera flash triggers and the strobe triggers, but you didn't record the flash pulse, or if the strobe doesn't go off at all, then you don't have proper synch. Change the number and try again. This is the number you will use all the time. Write it down on your rig and constantly double check for missettings.

The [Power Control setting 1-7] is where flash output levels are adjusted. This is a trial and error situation. You need to check your camera's lcd viewer to determine if you have over/proper/under exposure. This setting will vary with ambient light levels, subject color and distance to subject.

There is no Green ready light Only a red light indicating the strobe is on and charged. This light will go out right after the strobe has discharged. Depending on flash output level and battery condition, recycle time will vary.

The round window next to the red ready light is a pressure relief valve, not any sort of indicator light.

I usually set my camera's flash to low, to conserve battery life. After all it's only triggering the YS 25 strobe, not illuminating anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom