Problem with SK7 on retractor....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoneCrusher

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So, I have an SK7 retractor compass that I absolutely love. However, this weekend, I was out diving and went to grab the compass to take a bearing. What I noticed is that the compass dial came off the center pin inside the housing and obviously doesn't spin anymore. :(

Is there anything that can be done with this? I can't believe it would come off the center pin. Am I hosed on this? I really do love this compass...... :( Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

Must be not totally uncommon I to have had one do this.
That is why we took it apart then my friend dropped it!
I did not get to return it or try to fix it!
We did get a fire started in the oil from inside it!
Yes Mike it was wet Gilboa firewood!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

If the card comes off the needle, it usually cannot be repaired. If it is still under 2 yr warranty, take it back to your AQ dealer.

On a new compass, there is not enough clearance between the card and the lens for the card to come of the needle. What often happens with many compasses is that they get subjected to heat from being stowed in a hot car or direct tropical sun for several hours. When they get hot, the oil in them expands. This can result in a leak or cause the lens to swell outward making it ever so slightly convex. Often, it is subtle and you cannot perceive it. However, once the lens swells, there is enough clearance for the card to then jump off of the needle if it gets bumped just right.

The moral of the story is to try to keep all oil-filled compasses from getting hot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom