Problem with foggy masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never heard of RDA toothpaste ratings, but then again I'm not very experienced as far as diving is concerned. also have never heard of using baby shampoo either. good thread.

Melamine foam works WONDERS. I get a piece wet with a slight bit of water, scrub the inside of my mask lens and apply SeaGold anti-fog gel. Longest dive was a touch over two hours, completely fog-free.

(magic eraser = melamine foam)

Melamine foam works WONDERS. I get a piece wet with a slight bit of water, scrub the inside of my mask lens and apply SeaGold anti-fog gel. Longest dive was a touch over two hours, completely fog-free.

(magic eraser = melamine foam)
That's really smart. I find that if I exhale through my mouth instead of my nose, I usually get less fog as well. Although I am told I blow too many bubbles while free diving.

That's really smart. I find that if I exhale through my mouth instead of my nose, I usually get less fog as well. Although I am told I blow too many bubbles while free diving.

I do too, and I have a heavy tendency to exhale through both my nose and mouth (same with inhaling, honestly - hence why I've had issues doing no-mask swims or removal/replacements in the past, it's something I've had to train myself to overcome more than most people had to).

The melamine foam works fantastic to cut down on the fogging. My mask used to start becoming so fogged I'd have to let water in to slosh around and rinse it off by the 20 minute mark. Since I started cleaning the lenses with the wet foam prior to adding anti-fog, I've had 2+ hour dives with zero fog whatsoever, in both warm (80+ degree) and cool (64-72 degree) water. I just got finished with 3 days of Advanced Nitrox & Deco Procedures class, and doing the foam scrub, then SeaGold gel, then a generous helping of spit right before I put it on kept everything nice and clear even after doing mask removal/replacement drills.

Use this.
Nothing gets glass cleaner.
Just make sure you rinse it out real good.
IMG_0607.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom