Problem with Diving Concepts Dry Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, after a few dives (and some tribolube) I'm happy to report that I can now get them to come off with a little work. Much happier now, they are very comfortable gloves. I did look at the Si Tech gloves, which look good, although they aren't ventilated unless you put a straw in your wrist seal, right? That didn't seem like the best system to me, but maybe they dive just fine.

In any case, the fleece lined DC gloves are a pretty good option, IMHO, if you don't mind a bit of a struggle taking them off.

Mike

I have the same issue with my DUI Zip gloves. I have the compressed neoprene ones which are SUPER warm but remain on the drysuit at all times. I make sure absolutely everything is ready before I don the drysuit but once I do my dexterity is toast. On Sunday I even had to get a buddy to do up my harness buckle for me! I'm hoping that over time I will get used to them.

I hesitate to remove them since I am not confident that the snap fitting won't eventually start to wear out if I remove and reinstall the gloves regularly.

Bob

I have the same issue with my DUI Zip gloves. I have the compressed neoprene ones which are SUPER warm but remain on the drysuit at all times. I make sure absolutely everything is ready before I don the drysuit but once I do my dexterity is toast. On Sunday I even had to get a buddy to do up my harness buckle for me! I'm hoping that over time I will get used to them.

I hesitate to remove them since I am not confident that the snap fitting won't eventually start to wear out if I remove and reinstall the gloves regularly.

Bob

Hmmm... that doesn't seem right. You should certainly be able to do things like close your buckle with the gloves on, what if you have an emergency under water?

I don't know about the DUI models, but the DC gloves are supposed to be removable, makes it a lot easier to suit up..!

My DC glove rings got harder and harder to remove - after about two years/60 dives they were seriously getting stuck. I removed the O-ring, cleaned all the grooves on both rings with a cotton swab, and lubed the O-ring with a slight excess of silicon grease, wiped off the silicon grease with a lint-free towel (this first lube was to clean the O-ring), then applied a small amount of silicon grease to the O-ring (just enough to make the ring shiny and slick without having any globs of grease) and reassembled the unit - works like a charm.

You might consider repeating the above-mentioned procedure with the O-rings in your lights and camera housing.

I am having the same problems with the same glove system, removal of one glove, no matter how hard I pull it does not want to come off. Doing a 45 min dive in 2 degree water makes it near impossible to get them off. My hands are just too cold. I really do not enjoy this situation, 500 plus dives on my old drysuit with ST gloves never a problem. It really is a royal pain. At least I am not alone.

I am having the same problems with the same glove system, removal of one glove, no matter how hard I pull it does not want to come off. Doing a 45 min dive in 2 degree water makes it near impossible to get them off. My hands are just too cold. I really do not enjoy this situation, 500 plus dives on my old drysuit with ST gloves never a problem. It really is a royal pain. At least I am not alone.

Yup, mine finally loosened up to the point that I could take them off without a screwdriver. I guess there is a tradeoff for having a fully ventilated glove that doesn't use wrist seals or the straw to ventilate them...

M

Same problem here , getting harder and harder to get them on and off, I'm wondering if part of the problem is the o ring getting harder as it gets older. I hesitate to lube them up too much in case they pop off during a dive.

I have the same gloves and they pop on and off easily - lube the o-ring - might make it easier/

Hate to bump an old topic, but I am having the same problem. But these gloves are REALLY stuck on there. Last night was my first dive since having new wrist seals installed. When I got in the water, I immediately noticed a leak in my left glove. Okay, no big deal, I just trapped some fabric in the seal. I didnt have enough leverage to take the glove off while waist-deep in water, so I got out and sat down just up the beach a bit. I tried removing the problematic glove. Nothing. So I tried the right one instead. The entire wrist seal ripped off, along with the whole dry glove system. Everything ripped out. Obviously I wasnt diving after that. Dejected, I took off my other glove. Thankfully the wrist seal stayed intact, however the dry glove ring also came flying out. This was after I freshly lubed the connection point on the rings as well as the o-rings inside them before heading out to dive.

I feel like I should also point out that the reason I had to replace my wrist seals to begin with was that the constant pressure on the edge of the seal caused by donning and doffing the gloves would basically rip the seal over time. After destroying a grand total of 3 wrist seals due to this system, I am ready to give up on it and declare that DC dry gloves are in fact terrible for your wrist seals. However I dont want to do this without first checking the board to make sure I have tried everything. Has anyone actually managed to fix this problem? As I and others have stated, silicone does absolutely nothing. My suit (and ring system) has about 140 dives on it. I kind of want to try SiTech gloves, but I hear they leak frequently, which I would rather not deal with...

ADeadlierSnake, I have been using the SiTech gloves for four years now and will say there is a steep learning curve to donning the gloves. The trick that has helped the most and I have had no leaks since is to replace the o-rings with size -153 rings. The major problem that people have with the SiTech quick glove system is the o-ring can roll out of the grove if you don't push the gloves in perfectly square. The fix for this is to install the "proper" size o-ring. You can order the rings through McMaster but there are a few of us on here that would send some for a dollar or so plus shipping. With that said most of my buddies have the DC gloves and I'm envious of how easy of a time they have with the system, there gloves just seem to pop on and off with ease. Have you tried swapping the rings on the suit from side to side? What could be happening is the tolerances may have stacked up and causing the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom