Problem with Booties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teebee

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions...

I have very small feet (size 4 - 5 shoe) and can't find booties that fit me.

I have a pair of Henderson Hyperstretch in a size 5 (men's) and they felt "okay" in the dive shop. But, once I got in the water they were huge, very uncomfortable... lost a fin a couple of times because I didn't have enough "foot" in the heel of the boot to keep the fin on.

I've tried kids sizes ~ they fit my foot fine, but I don't have kid sized ankles or calves (couldn't zip up the bootie). I wish I could find the Henderson Hyperstretch in kids sizes - guessing they don't make any that small.

It looks like the short/low profile boots may come in smaller sizes ~ maybe these could work for me?

I've also seen someone suggest putting a neoprene or similarly insulating sock under the bootie ~ hoping to find another option. But I will try it if I can't find another alternative.

Any suggestions?? This seems to be the only piece of gear I'm having problems with!

Thanks a bunch for your help!!

teebee:
Looking for suggestions...

I have a pair of Henderson Hyperstretch in a size 5 (men's) and they felt "okay" in the dive shop. But, once I got in the water they were huge, very uncomfortable... lost a fin a couple of times because I didn't have enough "foot" in the heel of the boot to keep the fin on.
It looks like the short/low profile boots may come in smaller sizes ~ maybe these could work for me?

Teebee,

I have long but narrow feet. 11 AAAA It's a tough size given I can't switch into men's shoes / boots given the narrowness of my feet. However, when it comes to SCUBA a boot is a boot is a boot. SCUBA boots don't come in diffeent widths. And most if not all are unisex.

When diving wet, I have similar problems to what you describe with the fit of your boot. There is always more boot than there is of my heel in it. However, the only time I had trouble similar to what you are describing is when I accidentally wore my dry suit fins with my wet suit / wet suit boots. When I giant strided into the water my foot flipped out and the fin went up my leg.

In other words, perhaps your problem isn't the too big boots, but rather a fin that doesn't fit? My fin straps tighten up against my ankle, not my heel or boot. Often the boot heel, which doesn't have my heel in it, is sticking out farther than the fin strap.

Something for you to check out at least.
Paula

Just another possibility........try neoprene socks (sometimes called Aqua socks) with a drysuit boot (DUI rock boots, Bare or White's cold water all make them). Granted it takes longer on and off but feels more secure and is far better for long walks and shore dives.......Good Luck!

Mountain Equipment Co-op sells neoprene socks for 9.99CND. I used them in my boots and they work great for fillin up the extra space in my boots. www.mec.ca
Like mentioned earlier, check your fin size too. I wear a small fin in my wetsuit booties, and a sm-med fin for my drysuit... your fins may be too big. What kind a fins do you use??

Teebee,
I have the same size feet! (typically a 4.5 to 5)

I have 3 pairs of booties that sort of fit but then my fins fall off while I was kicking because my foot was too short in the fin. I must of tried on 10 pairs.. some booties would just fall off because the heel was not narrow enough and some were not comfortable.

I finally sprung for a pair of Seasoft booties in a size XXXS and my feet are extremely happy. Side note though... I had to buy a new pair of larger fins because the width of the thick soles wouldn't fit the XS fin. The soles are like a nice soft running shoe.

I originally found them at the Long Beach Dive show but didn't get them... When I couldn't find them later, I ended up getting them directly from Seasoft.

I love my booties now!

Beepbird

Wow! Thanks so much for all or your suggestions, this is so helpful!!

Paula & Firediver: I'm not sure if the fins are a contributing factor or not ~ I have a pair of Aeris Velocity fins, size sm-md. The Henderson booties I've been wearing have such a thick sole that I don't think I could go smaller in the fin w/out going smaller in the bootie. They feel very snug in the pocket of the fin - like the boots and fins are a good fit for each other... but the boots aren't a great fit for me?!? The heel does stick out a ways behind the straps, but maybe the times that the fin(s) came off I may not have tightened the strap adequately? I will check that out in the bathtub!

Beepbird, Andy, decompression & Firediver: Thanks for the suggestions & links ~ I'm going to order a pair of neoprene socks and the Seasoft booties to see what works best to alleviate that awkward and uncomfortable sensation I'm currently experiencing - it's hard for me to describe, but it's like I don't have a lot of control, or my fins are not very responsive to my movement because they and the boots are just sloshing around my feet... Does that make any sense? Then, in order to compensate, I end up kind of scrunching up my toes to kind of "thicken" my foot to take up more room, then my arch starts to cramp... Anyhow, you get the picture...

I tried to order the Seasoft boots last night, but got an error message so I will try again or call if that continues.

Anyhow, thanks again for your help everyone - I'm leaving for Mexico on the 24th and was getting desperate!!

I know exactly what you are talking about!
My last pair of booties before the Seasoft had that funky bump on the heel that helped the fins from falling off but they were not perfect and every once in awhile the fins would fall off.

I called Seasoft to order the booties directly and they had to me in 3 days, so I think you still have time. You won't be disappointed!

Beepbeep!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom