Problem with BC purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just bought a BC from TommyDSports and I've had problems almost from day one. First, I ordered a Men's Large BCD for $160. A few days later, the BC arrives, but they had sent me Women's Large BCD. So, in order to exchange it, I spent $14 to ship it back, plus a $12 check to cover the shipping for the correct BC. I received the BC a week later, only to discover that the web strap that crosses in front of the cummerbund is missing. The plastic buckles and fittings are there, just no strap. I sent an email to TommyDSports explaining the problem and they act as if they don't know what I'm talking about. I sent pictures and several emails trying to make the problem clear. Now they just don't answer the emails. I eventually gave up and just bought some nylon webbing to make my own strap.

Today, I tried to mount the BC to a tank and found that the band is not long enough to encircle the tank. I believe I would be hard pressed to even mount a pony on it. There isn't even enough band there to adjust. Faced with the prospect of spending another $26 for another exchange with no guarantee that the next BC would be any better, I decided to forget trying any further contact with TommyDSports and I've ordered a new tank band from LP and will swap it out myself.

To be fair, the BC itself is a very well made product. Also, when they sent me the replacement BCD, they enclosed a nice carry bag, I suppose in partial compensation for sending me the wrong BC the first time.

However, what with the extra shipping charges and purchases I've had to make, I now have $230 in a BC that was originally $159.95.

I have two TommyDSports wetsuits and a couple pairs of boots that I like and have no problems with. But I'm not so sure that I will be dealing with them in the future.

Last edited:
I like those walk in places where you normally get fills :)

Hey-----everyone has to make a profit----somehow??.....Thanks for the headsup, I saw them online one time & wasn't too impressed by them....If you paid by CC, dispute the deal & DO NOT pay em.....

Their mistake. Why are you not being reimbursed for shipping? Some companies will only reimburse if you keep on asking them.

Tell them you are not satisfied with the poor customer service and inability to send the correct complete item. Ask them how to request a full refund of all funds and how to return. Return the item and do not deal with them again. Do not use e-mail. Continue phone calls and letters until satisfied. Call credit card company and ask about how to deal with it.

I've dealt with them several times and have had nothing but satisfactory dealings.

I mainly stick with the bigger names when dealing in online purchases.

I would not of agreed to pay for the shipping and would of demanded a cross ship so they can send me the item first and I could then use their packing and thier return label to ship it back.

On the other side, I would wonder what kind of quality there is in a $160 BC that was not made properly or had quality control issues.

$160 seems really cheap for a BC. Kind of makes me question the quality. As a piece of life sustaining gear I would shell out a few extra bucks to get something I know will keep me alive.

As far as the quality of the BC itself, it is a well made piece of gear. The material is heavy duty and the seams are solidly put together. The issue has been with the missing belt webbing and the tank band, both of which I have solved myself. If I had any doubts about the quality and reliabilty of the BC itself, I would send it back and demand a total refund. As it is, I like the BC. It's the way TDS is handling the whole matter that bugs me.

As far as the price, I only paid $150 each for the TUSA BCs that I bought from LP for my sons last year and they are really nice BCs.

$160 seems really cheap for a BC. Kind of makes me question the quality. As a piece of life sustaining gear I would shell out a few extra bucks to get something I know will keep me alive.

A BC is not life support equipment. It's a convenience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom