Problem with back-inflate bcd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a tip to ease your descents.
Most people tend to do things in the wrong order, and hence end up taking a breath in when they shouldn't.

Try this:

1. Take a deep breath in and HOLD (Yes.. you are at the surface... no harm done :D)
2. Empty your drysuit/BCD completely (WHILE holding your breath)
3. Cross your feet and lean slightly forward (You are still at the surface as you haven't exhaled yet...)
4. Now... you can exhale and lean even more forward. You will end up around 2-3m in a horizontal position and deep enough that a breath in won't push you to the top again.
5. Keep Calm and continue breathing :D

Often, the problem is that you empty your lungs before your bcd is empty and as a result you need to breathe in too soon.

It worked! Ankles crossed, right hand firmly around the shoulder strap an breathed as Imla suggested.

I steadily went down. No stopping - first breath taken at roughly 12ft (inhaled quickly, exhaled slowly) - no significant slowing down of my descent (the bottom of our diving pool at 15ft did that, though :wink: ). Maybe the clear pool water relaxed me a little, too.

I was so excited, that I didn't count how many times I went down and back up but it were quite some. I still had too much air left by the time I stopped to do a proper weight check but I'm sure I can get rid of one or another lb.

Thanks again for all your support and let me repeat: You guys rock! :cheers:

It is seldom the tool the makes the big difference, but the skill of the operator. Once you have developed true skills, you can work wonders from even the most primitive of tools, while in the hands of a novice, even the best tools may not produce the desired results.

This is as true of diving as it is woodworking or mechanics. Skills take time and lots of practice to develop and even buying the very best tools available won't change that. Good tools do help but they can never replace the need to practice and develop the skills to use them effectively.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom