Problem with airtrim vent sticking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sirto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an airtrim system on my Dragonfly bcd. Today the vent valve on the shoulder started acting up. It will sometimes vent while I'm trying to inflate the bcd. Other times it seats properly and I can inflate but as soon as I try to vent even a little bit it will open and not seal thereby fully venting the bc. The vent valve on the bottom of the bc isn't doing this so I think the problem lies in the vent rather than with the vent controls sticking.

I tried filling the bc with water and flushing the vent valve by pressurizing the bc and blowing the water through the vent but that hasn't helped. I've looked and don't see any salt buildup or foreign objects that would prevent the valve from reseating.

I'm currently on a trip in Bonaire and the shops aren't familiar with this system so they haven't been any help. I'd really like to fix the problem so I can use the bc for the rest of my trip.

Are you supposed to be able to open this vent(so I can clean it) like you can with the manual vents on the bc? It doesn't appear to unscrew. Any other suggestions on how to get the valve to reseat?

Hi there, It's probably too late now. Also the reality is I can't offer too many suggestions. Unfortunately I can not diagnose and offer advise on how to repair life support products to an untrained tech, particularly over the internet. Have you tried to find on the island an authorized Mares dealer? This technology is not new and I would think someone would have come across an airtrim previously.

The problem could lie with the inflator valve. The exhaust valves are designed to open only under air pressure. There could be just enough air getting by the inflator valve to open one of the exhaust valves. Alternatively it could be that the exhaust valve is simply not seating correctly from being open. This is why I cannot help without having the bcd in hand. If you can't find resolution on your trip, I recommend taking it to an authorized Mares dealer with a Mares Lab certification. They will be able to quickly get the bcd back in the water.

Best regards,

Zak

Hi there, It's probably too late now. Also the reality is I can't offer too many suggestions. Unfortunately I can not diagnose and offer advise on how to repair life support products to an untrained tech, particularly over the internet. Have you tried to find on the island an authorized Mares dealer? This technology is not new and I would think someone would have come across an airtrim previously.

The problem could lie with the inflator valve. The exhaust valves are designed to open only under air pressure. There could be just enough air getting by the inflator valve to open one of the exhaust valves. Alternatively it could be that the exhaust valve is simply not seating correctly from being open. This is why I cannot help without having the bcd in hand. If you can't find resolution on your trip, I recommend taking it to an authorized Mares dealer with a Mares Lab certification. They will be able to quickly get the bcd back in the water.

Best regards,

Zak

Hey there, I have the exact same problem and know that it is the airtrim valve that leaks as when I disconnect the inflator buttons, the leak is still present. I have handed my jacket into a local dive shop and they seem to think that since mares has discontinued the airtrim system, I am out of luck with getting the jacket repaired. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I can purchase a replacement valve or parts as I quite like the jacket and don't much like the expense of replacing it.

Cheers

Dean

Dean,
Mares has not discontinued Airtrim technology. It still in production on a few bcd's. Parts are available and depending upon the issue, can most likely be repaired by an authorized Mares Lab / Dealer. Any LDS that has gone through our Lab Program and is certified, should be able to help you. I suggest you recommunicate with the dive store or find another.
Hope this helps.

Zak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom